Presenting 2D stimuli on HTC VIVE PRO EYE

Dear friends, I am trying to modify my experiment, currently running on standard monitors, in order to have it running on an HTC vive eye pro head mounted display.
I will use the integrated eye tracking and benefit from the very fast switching HTC vive oled displays.
The eye tracking part is working just fine. My programing skills are really bad but I hope I will be able to propose the code as a general purpose tracking module for Psychopy.

The problem: I want to present the stimuli on the VIVE the same way I would do on a standard secondary screen.
Unfortunately in windows the VIVE horizontal resolution is exposed as the sum of the horizontal resolution of the left and right screen.
The resolution is 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye, but the VIVE is presented as a monitor with 2880 x 1600 pixels resolution. This would be fine for someone wanting to make stereoscopic discrimination but not for me…
I am sure there is a solution but I have been running in circles for a while and I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the righr direction. I know there is a library called PsychXR which is being integrated into Psychopy in order to present even 3D stimuli, but I could not find documentation about that.

Thank you in advance

Francesco

Hi Francesco,

I’m trying to do almost exactly the same thing. Were you successful in your efforts?

Thanks,

• John.

Developer of PsychXR and PsychoPy here.

Presently there is no support for the HTC VIVE within PsychoPy. As far as I’m aware these displays require a compositor and one cannot simply treat them as an extended display. PsychXR (and PsychoPy by extension) does not support any HMD other than ones released by Meta/Facebook/Oculus. This may change at some point, as development for OpenXR support has started, but for now users should consider using Unity/Unreal/Godot for those HMDs.

If you have any questions regarding VR support in PsychoPy, please get in touch with me.

• mdc