Pavlovia Pilot stuck on "Initialising the experiment..."

URL of experiment: https://run.pavlovia.org/meconnelly/unknobjid_anw_lw/html

Description of the problem:
I am trying to pilot test my experiment in Pavlovia and keep getting stuck on the “initialising the experiment” screen. I checked my PsychoPy output for when I tried to upload the study from Builder onto Pavlovia and found this error report:
“Generating PsychoJS script…
ERROR: Line 356: Unexpected token = in ObjIDStudy_ANW_LW_OnlineVersion.js
ERROR: Line 348: Unexpected token = in ObjIDStudy_ANW_LW_OnlineVersionNoModule.js”

Does that error mean there was an issue in some component of the study?? I have checked other discussions from this topic and can’t seem to find an answer. Please help!!!

1 Like

Hi, I don’t have a specific answer to your problem, but this is a type of question that comes up on these forums a lot, so I would jump through a few of these topics and see if anything might help: https://discourse.psychopy.org/search?q=initialising

Hi Bobby - Thank you for getting back to me. I have paged through the link that you sent and have yet to find one that aids my specific issue. I’m currently working to translate my 8 lines of python code that were part of my builder file into JS to see if that helps. I have also re-downloaded PsychoPy to ensure I’m working with the most up-to-date version of the software.

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, I’m all ears!!!

Update: I uninstalled and re-installed the newest version of Psychopy (2020.1.3). I then restarted my computer. Since then, none of my Psychopy files are opening. When I try to run the study in Pavlovia, it still gets stuck on the initialising screen.

If you have the most recent version of PsychoPy, when you go to your code component, you can look at the option called code type. If you select Auto–>JS it should automatically translate your Python code to JS code, and this might be what was causing you problems. This auto translate is in my opinion the coolest feature of PsychoPy 2020, so its worth a try.

1 Like

I was excited for that feature, but since updating to the newer version of PsychoPy, I can’t get any of my experiment files to open. I’m trying to uninstall and reinstall again, and hopefully that helps fix things. If I can use the translate feature, that would help a lot!

Thank you for your help!! Updating the software and having the Auto->JS feature fixed the issue!!

1 Like

Awesome, glad I could help, and extra glad that the PsychoPy team was able to implement this great feature!

2 Likes

Well done to @apitiot for an amazing job of the underlying translator and @dvbridges for graphical interface to perform the translation live in front of your eyes!

I must say it still blows me away how well it works! :slight_smile:

1 Like