Participant microphone functionality check

OS (e.g. Win10): Big Sur
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2021.2.3

What are you trying to achieve?: I am running a study in which participants must name images out loud one at a time (picture naming task). Because my experiment will be running online, a researcher will not be present when participants are completing the task. I wanted to know if there was a way for participants to check that their microphone is working, i.e., they speak out loud and are able to hear the audio file play back at them. Then they can continue on to the actual experiment, knowing that their microphone functionality is working and recording their responses.

Hi There,

Unfortunately there isn’t a playback option for online just yet. But what you could do is daisy chain your experiment with an external tool to check.

For example you could try to add a code component to your experiment, set code type to “JS” and use
window.open(https://www.onlinemictest.com/) (or another website for a mic test that you approve of) note though that the window.open() method can be blocked by some ad blockers! You would probably want to check this out in a pilot first to check it out.

Hope this helps,
Becca

I also have this issue and haven’t solved it yet. Please keep updating. Thank you!