Movie stimulus not loading in experiment

hi, i am a total noob to psychopy. I am building an experiment with multiple video stimulus and so i have made an excel file for my parameters and conditions. the videos however fail to load. the experiment crashes after the instruction page with this error:

filename=MOVIE_1,

NameError: name ‘MOVIE_1’ is not defined

PsychoPy version : 2022.1.3

Thank you

Make sure you use the extension of the movie file e.g. MOVIE_1.mp4

1 Like

Hi Yiannis. Thanks for your response. Where do I add the movie extensions? To my psychopy or in the excel condition file?. My condition file has cells with links to the target videos individually renamed accordingly.

Hi

In the excel file, the column that contains the names of the video files, these should also include their extensions.
E.g.
movie1.mp4
movie2.mp4
etc
Of course the extensions in your case may be different so change them accordingly.

EDIT: I do not have experience with stimuli that are actually links and I do not know how and if this will work. Consider downloading the video files.
Yiannis

Hello,

you might want to make the extensions visible under Win10 in case you don’t see them displayed in File Explorer.Start the File Explorer → select View → check Filename extension.

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Ok. Thank you very much. How can I load 160 videos on the condition file without just using filepath link in the cells? I think the problem I have is that it’s the link to the video stimulus that I put in my excel cells. Any help on how to creating a working condition file for locally downloaded videos.

Ok. Thank you very much. How can I load 160 videos on the condition file without just using filepath link in the cells? I think the problem I have is that it’s the link to the video stimulus that I put in my excel cells. Any help on how to creating a working condition file for locally downloaded videos.

Hello,

are your movies consecutively numbered, movie1.mp4, movie2.mp4? No big deal in Excel, see here

Then combine then combine the directory, filename and the extension in another column.

Using PsychoPy, you could start with

path = "stimuli"
dirList = os.listdir(path)

which returns a list of all files directory stimuli in your working directory.

Best wishes Jens

Thanks a lot. I have 38 conditions and 4 parameters, so there are 38 of each movie scenarios. This is what the existing file looks like

Hello,

yes, and what is the problem?

BTW, if you press alt-print you make a screenshot of the active window, if you press ctrl-print you make a screenshot of the whole screen. With ctrl-V you insert the screenshot in your post. So, no need to take a photo with your mobile.

Best wishes Jens