Movie and Sound Don't Sync Up and There's an Echo

Hey y’all! I’m an RA struggling to run this experiment properly and it is ESSENTIAL that the sound and video clip sync up.

OS (e.g. Win10): Windows10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2022.1.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: y
What are you trying to achieve?:

I am playing a movie file with sound, but the sound and video are out of sync. The sound starts at the beginning, the actual video starts a few seconds late even though they are coming from the same .mp4 file. There is also an echo of the last word of the movie sound. This happens for all video files in the experiment. I use moviepy on the backend and pyo as my audiolib. In the screen settings I have the full screen box checked off. The window size is [1920,1080], Units are use preferences and the blend mode is set to average. In the audio section, the force stereo is off.

What did you try to make it work?:

I’ve tried all the different backend options, but moviepy is the only one that doesn’t crash the experiment. I’ve also tried all the audiolib options and pyo is the only to actually play sound. I’ve changed the screen window size and different unit preferences, but those didn’t work either. Changing the force stereo option didn’t do anything either. My code looks fine, so I’m just at a lost.

Thanks in advance :o)

Also! changing it from constant to set every repeat does not have an effect on the syncing of sound and video.

Hi @kay206,

Could you try separating the sound and visual parts of your video files using Audacity or something similar (this is free to download), then adding them in separately to your experiment? You can see more information in this thread from this post onwards. This has solved this problem for a lot of users, hopefully this won’t be an issue in the next release of PsychoPy!

Thanks,

Kim

Which version will this issue be fixed?

Are you still experiencing this in the latest release? If so would you mind sharing details of your experiment and videos?

Thanks,

Kim