Mouse click not recognising target

PsychoPy version: v1.90.2
Standard Standalone: Y

Apologies in advance I am extremely new to using PsychoPy so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

What are you trying to achieve?: I am trying to create a simple visual search experiment where participants are presented with a visual scene consisting of a number of green lines (distractors) and one red line (target). The participant will search the array and use the mouse to click on the target red line. The click will only respond to the target line (red).

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: At the moment after running the experiment the visual scene is displayed but the mouse click on the target stimulus is not recognised

Full code attached
VisSearch.py (18.7 KB)

UPDATE:
I have a solution to this issue. The mouse click wasn’t recognising the target as the shape was too small for the mouse click to register. I have instead changed the shape to a triangle. Does anyone know how to make it so that the area around a target can be seen as a correct response? Or how to make it so that a line stimulus can be selected by mouse click?

Try using another invisible ShapeStim that is the same location and orientation as your red stimulus but taller and wider. Make that invisible stimulus your target.

It’s often best to give it a colour temporarily while you are testing things out, otherwise it’s difficult to detect if things haven’t been specified correctly. Changing the colour of this invisible stimulus when the mouse click is detected is also a nice way of giving feedback to the subject. e.g. it can appear like a border highlighting the actual target when it is clicked.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this. Really insightful. I really appreciate your help