MemoryError in builder

PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2022.2.4
What are you trying to achieve?:
I have an experiment similar to an RMTS paradigm, with a sample stimulus (varying in color and shape), and two potential matching choices (one either matches the sample in shape or color, the other choice matches in neither dimension). I have screenshots of each stimulus (72 total) from a different program written in Turbo Pascal that is programmed to create the stimuli on the fly, but I was not sure how to do this in the builder, and Turbo Pascal is a dead programming language that will not work on our testing computers.
I originally wanted the program to be able to select a stimulus image, and then select two potential match choices, one that matches in color or shape, the other a non-match. However, I did not receive any responses to that post on how to get started with that, so I ended up putting every potential combination of the 72 stimuli into excel sheets and am having the loop randomly select a row to display with the sample, choice 1 and choice 2.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
When I first started creating this, it was running smoothly. Now that I have added ALL of the potential stimuli combinations in the excel sheet I am getting the error message copied below. When I open the program, three stimuli are displayed, but when I put my cursor over the image (it is for a touchscreen so I am having the stimuli noted as “chosen” if the mouse hovers over it instead of clicking it), it just tries to load for several minutes and then eventually I get a message saying the program had to close. I am wondering if it is because I have so many lines in the excel sheet? I have never created an experiment in Psychopy that required so many rows in excel before, (one of the excel sheets has 720, the others have between 120-360; the different excel sheets are for the 5 different tasks). I am hoping that is not my problem, because I have 3 more tasks to add still, and they will require larger files than what I already have. Any ideas would be very helpful!

Generating PsychoPy script…

Running: C:\Users\17703\Desktop\MonkDecl - Copy\HoverDecl2_lastrun.py

1016.5250 EXP Imported TaskList.xlsx as conditions, 1 conditions, 1 params
1016.5620 INFO Loaded monitor calibration from [‘2022_04_10 17:50’]
1017.9382 EXP Imported TaskList.xlsx as conditions, 1 conditions, 1 params
pygame 2.1.0 (SDL 2.0.16, Python 3.8.10)
Traceback (most recent call last):
Hello from the pygame community. Contribute - pygame wiki
3.9196 WARNING We strongly recommend you activate the PTB sound engine in PsychoPy prefs as the preferred audio engine. Its timing is vastly superior. Your prefs are currently set to use [‘pyo’, ‘PTB’, ‘pygame’, ‘sounddevice’] (in that order).
7.7863 WARNING User requested fullscreen with size [1440 900], but screen is actually [1920, 1080]. Using actual size
1.2448 WARNING Monitor specification not found. Creating a temporary one…
File “C:\Users\17703\Desktop\MonkDecl - Copy\HoverDecl2_lastrun.py”, line 409, in
trial_loop.addData(‘mouse.y’, y)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data\trial.py”, line 731, in addData
self.data.add(thisType, value, position=None)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data\base.py”, line 552, in add
self._convertToObjectArray(thisType)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data\base.py”, line 565, in _convertToObjectArray
self[thisType] = np.where(dat.mask, ‘–’, dat).astype(‘O’)
MemoryError
################ Experiment ended with exit code 1 [pid:23220] #################
1247.1185 EXP Imported TaskList.xlsx as conditions, 1 conditions, 1 params
1247.1815 INFO Loaded monitor calibration from [‘2022_04_10 17:50’]

Here is one of my task files if that helps.
task5.xlsx (41.7 KB)

750 stimuli aren’t inherently a problem, PsychoPy can certainly handle reading that many strings from an Excel file, but if these stimuli are large images then I can see why this would cause a memory error. Try using a :static: Static component to load stimuli one / a few at a time.