Key Presses During Stimulus Presentation Prevent Presentation of Response Slide

OS (e.g. Win10): Mac OS X
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 1.85.6
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Yes
What are you trying to achieve?:

I am trying to create an experiment in the PsychoPy builder that presents a stimulus slide for 5 seconds followed by a fixation cross for 1 second and then a response slide where the participant enters a keyboard response of F or J.

What did you try to make it work?:

I have created a loop with two routines. The first routine includes the presentation of the stimulus slide, fixation cross, and response slide. The second routine includes a text presentation indicating the start of the next trial.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:

During the presentation of the stimulus slide, if the participant provides a response (either F or J), the loop will not present the response slide and will move onto the next trial. Included is the PsychoPy file that I am using.

IDmain.psyexp (51.8 KB)

I suspect that it is executing the second routine but the text stimulus may not be visible. Check what units you are using. Best to explicitly set these rather than rely on the PsychoPy’s preferences, which can be changed outside of your experiment. i.e. if the units are set in pixels rather than normalised units, text of size 0.1 would be invisible.

Secondly, for clarity, in your experimental trials, you might just want to set explicit times for the onset and offset of your stimuli rather than using conditional tests (not necessary given the stimulus they are are conditional on itself has fixed onset and offset times).