Issue with data not recording to Pavlovia

I have been running an experiment on Pavlovia using a psychopy coded program. I’m recruiting through Mturk. I’ve ran three rounds of the experiment and for some reason I am always missing data, even though the participants submitted the hit. I know that they completed the experiment because at the very end I have a random 7 digit string that is generated for each participant. The people who submit the hit have a random 7 digit string, but no CSV file. I haven’t had this issue in the past, but there has also been issues with my experiment updating to Pavlovia from psychopy when I make changes.

Does anyone else have this issue or have any suggestions for how to fix this?

1 Like

Hi There,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, please can I check that you have the “save incomplete data” selected on the experiment page in pavlovia (as below)

Thanks,
Becca
Annotation 2020-09-03 094103

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I do have that checked. I’ve gone through all of the files that saved and none of them have MTURK IDs or randomly generated codes that match these participants.

Would it be better not to have save incomplete results checked? I also have the files saving as CSV not database.

Hi There,

I think it is good to have the settings as you describe there (I was just checking data weren’t missing because of an incomplete dataset that wasn’t saved). Just to clarify, does the data save as you wish when running offline?

In terms of your pavlovia not syncing your new changes it might be that you need to clear your image cache as described here Pavlovia experiment changes are delayed in "run" version .

please could you share a link to your project?

Thanks,
Becca

Thank you!

It does save when I run it offline. I’ve tried to replicate the problem myself. I’ve let the experiment run and pressed the minimal amount of buttons just to get through it. I’ve also exited out early in several ways, such as closing the browser versus closing the tab. I’ve also started the experiment and left it up for several hours to make sure that it doesn’t advance without me pressing buttons, which is doesn’t. It wasn’t happening before and then once I made a few changes and updated the experiment it started to happen.

Here is the link
https://run.pavlovia.org/chualab/episodicblockcounter/html

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Casey

Hi Casey,

Thanks for that - please could you share the link to the gitlab project (rather than the task link) so that I can download the files?

To help us narrow it down a bit, with those approaches you tried, did any of them replicate the problem of not saving data?

Thanks,
Becca

Would you be able to tell me how to access the GitHub project? I’m sorry I’m not quite familiar with that.

Also, nothing I did replicated the problem.

Sure no problem. In pavlovia go dashboard>experiment then navigate to your experiment. Once there click on the “view code” option and that should take you to the gitlab :slight_smile:

Thank you so much!

Here is the URL:

Hi Casey,

Sorry, you might need to ensure the project is set to public so that I can view it. In your gitlab project go settings> permissions and set visibility public then I should be able to view it if you resend the link.

Thanks,
Becca

Oops I’m sorry about that!

I’ve set it to public. Here’s the updated link
https://gitlab.pavlovia.org/chualab/episodicpublic

thank you!
Casey

I am having the same issue, participants are entering the completion code and then data is missing. Of 200 participants ran, only 188 saved data files for.

1 Like

Hi, I’m also having the same problem. Any updates on this issue?

1 Like

Hi There,

Missing data can be due to several reasons, some of which are outside of our control. Please see this thread for more info on that.

Thanks,
Becca