Internal Error when opening experiment - Worked fine earlier today

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): Standalone PsychoPy 2020.2.10
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:

I had created my experiment, got it working perfectly locally on Builder, synced it to Pavlovia, made some tweaks–everything worked perfectly through that process. I then sent a link to my RA to pilot the task, after which I started to receive the following Internal Handling error when I opened PsychoPy.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\”, line 864, in onIdle
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\”, line 105, in doIdleTasks
_doTask(taskName, app)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\”, line 142, in _doTask
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\”, line 86, in setUser
if user is None and PavloviaMenu.appData[‘pavloviaUser’]:
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not subscriptable


a pilot link can not be shared. Add the RA as a member of the project (if I understand your problem correctly)

Best wishes Jens

Aha. Thanks for that clarification. She was able to complete the study, for what it is worth.

The problem is bigger, though. The experiment will not load correctly, nor will it sync on Pavlovia.


I was wondering if you had any clarification on the unhandled internal error.


without access to program, no.

Best wishes Jens

I’ve uploaded is a copy of the experiment and related csv files.

Diss_Pilot_NormRate_V2Masters.psyexp (101.3 KB) input.csv (20 Bytes) sentences.csv (35.1 KB)

However, the problem seems to be more general. The error I described above appears simply when I open PsychoPy on my personal laptop but not on the desktop in my lab. I uninstalled and reinstalled standalone PsychoPy (20.2.10)on my personal machine and still get the error. The file and the same standalone version of PsychoPy works perfectly on my lab desktop.



you deleted the participant field from the Experiment settings - Experiment info which throws an error when deleted because it is involved in the way the data file-name is constructed

Dokumente\Downloads\Diss\", line 58, in
filename = thisDir + os.sep + u’data/%s%s_%s’ % (expInfo[‘participant’], expName, expInfo[‘date’])
KeyError: ‘participant’

Adding the field participant your program ran without any problem on my PC and Pavolvia.

Sorry, that is probably not a lot of help.

Best wishes Jens