Image stimuli not displaying correctly

I am building a Joint Simon Task where in in the joint conditions, partner responses are simulated by the movement of the hand. OnGO trials, the hand moves from the rest position, to the press position. And then back to the rest position.

like so:

Everything works correctly luckily. But when I put the experiment on pavlovia, instead of showing a smooth movement, the image simply flickers and disappears. This is in the final third of the experiment i link below:

https://moryscarter.com/vespr/pavlovia.php?folder=TSKang&experiment=virtual-joint-simon-task

Another bizarre issue that is that when running locally on my machine, and that of my advisor, the funds are consistent across the entire study. Online, most of the study uses the correct font, while some parts use a different font.

Does anybody have any solutions for either of these problems? Thanks in advance

So I see there is no code component but it sounds like you might have code. Please could you show the component that isn’t working

Thanks so much for your help. I made a typo above, everything works correctly locally on my machine. But these errors are only occurring when the study is run online.

No, there is no code for image control. the only image that varies is “image” according to the attached file. I thought the area might have something to do with badly translated code, but that can’t be the problem because there isn’t any.

av2.csv (133 Bytes)

As for the parts that don’t display the correct font, everything is set to the same font, namely Arial, but when I run it online some sections look as if they are using Times New Roman or something.

As per my crib sheet,

Don’t
Use an array in an Excel file for locations or colours.

Do
Use separate variables for x and y coordinates, e.g. $(x,y) or separate r, g, b values for separate colour values.

I understand that it now a very large document so I’m not surprised if someone using my crib sheet might still miss individual tips.

Sorry for missing that one. So your suggestion is that if I split my x and y-coordinate into two separate variables, the image motion should be as I expect? Do you think this would make the image transition smoother as they are on my local PC?

Yes, I think it will help.

I’m sorry. But I don’t think that was going to help after all. The image begin release is always the same one, and always in the same position. The image, “image” is set as a variable $ImageFile pointing to excel sheet. The positions for these images are all the same. Such that one will appear in a position, then the second will be over written, and then the third. The first and third images are the same, the second one varies depending on the variable in the file. At the moment, instead of a transition from image one to image two, and onto the third one. We see a brief flickering image, and sometimes one appearing inappropriately in the middle of the trial. The timeline is clearly set up so that doesn’t happen.

@wakecarter I am well aware that I might be being a bit obtuse. But that said, the intention of of my study is for one image to appear, and another one to be selected from the variable, and then a third one drawn over the top. All three of them occupy the same position. Coordinates are fixed inside PsychoPy, and not specified in the excel file. So I’m not sure how to create two variables, as you suggest?

Perhaps I was confused because you have a column called pos in your Excel file, which suggests that it’s a variable.

What I do for replacing images (for example in RSVP presentation) is have a single image which I update in code using, for example,

Begin Routine

stage = 1
image.setImage('image1.png')

Each Frame

if t > .8 and stage == 1:
     image.setImage(trialImage)
     stage=2
     thisExp.addData('ImageOnset',t)
elif t > 1.4 and stage==2:
     image.setImage('image2.png')
     stage=3
     thisExp.addData('ImageOffset',t)

Yes, my mistake. Those position variables are for arrows not images. But yes, this coding approach makes sense. I’ll give it a shot and hopefully I’ll be able to test online whenever the power comes up again!

In the meantime you should be able to test offline.

For online you’ll need to define thisExp in code_JS as per my crib sheet.