How to solve ethical issues in Pavlovia

Dear all,

Given the current COVID-19 situation, many of us are turning to online experiments. Me as well, I would like to try this feature, since I was supposed to start data collection now.

However, I am concerned regarding one issue of using Paplovia. I am working in Germany. At least here, data must be completely deleted either after a certain amount of time (10 years) or after a participant wanting his/her data completely removed.

Pavlovia - to which I am new - works with git repositories, in which files are never really deleted. There will be a “history” of the data somewhere. Is there a solution to overcome this issue?

You’re right that git repositories store all the history of he project, but when you delete the repository from pavlovia it is fully deleted, including both code and data. Gone with no trace and no backup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, but then I have one further question.

Where are the Pavlovia and the Git servers? The GDPR does not allow us to use ANY service that stores data outside Europe.

And if both Git and Pavlovia are outside of Europe, is there a way to avoid this issue?

It looks like this thread might have fallen through the cracks.

My understanding is, it’s still ok for us in the EU to use pavlovia.org until the end of the Brexit transition period (Dec 31 2020), but from Jan 1 2021 on, we might no longer be allowed to.

It would be really great if you could give us an idea of your plans for addressing this issue. Would you consider renting a server in the EU to host pavlovia.org (or a mirror like pavlovia.eu), should the need arise?

What triggered this question was that we were debating whether it would make sense for us to purchase an institution site license for pavlovia.org, when we realized that we might not be able to use it for more than 6-7 months. So even though there is still some time until the end of the Brexit transition period, it would be really helpful to know sooner rather than later what the contingency plan would be.