Git error on Pavlovia, data wasn't saved

URL of experiment: Sign in · GitLab

Description of the problem: My experiment just crashed spectacularly. I recruited 30 participants on Prolific and only 7 could complete it. By the end of the experiment, people were getting the following error message:

Unfortunately we encountered the following error:when uploading participant’s results for experiment: carolfs/magic-carpet-m
when saving data from a previously opened session on the server
unable to push data with key: PARTICIPANT_Magic Carpet Experiment_2020-11-24_21h04.07.383.csv to GitLab repository: Cmd(‘git’) failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git add /var/www/pavlovia.org/run/carolfs/magic-carpet-m/data//PARTICIPANT_Magic Carpet Experiment_2020-11-24_21h04.07.383.csv stderr: ‘fatal: Unable to create ‘/data/run/carolfs/magic-carpet-m/.git/index.lock’: File exists. Another git process seems to be running in this repository, e.g. an editor opened by ‘git commit’. Please make sure all processes are terminated then try again. If it still fails, a git process may have crashed in this repository earlier: remove the file manually to continue.’

I was saving incomplete information and logging DEBUG data too. Could this be a concurrency issue with git (30 participants sending data at the same time)? Is there something I could do to make sure this won’t happen again?

I deleted the repository and created a new one. Then I disabled logging and turned off the “Saving incomplete information” setting. The problem did not occur again.