Getting 'None' for Rating Response in Output

Mac OS Mojave
PsychoPy 3.0.5
Hello! I’m a PhD student trying to run an experiment on music, and I keep getting ‘None’ instead of a numerical response for the VAS scale in the output.

At first, the ‘None’ appeared only when the reaction time was faster than 1 second, and so my colleague and I modified the ‘Mouse’ settings for start and stop duration.

Now, the problem seems to persist even with no restrictions on response time, and we are no longer able to at least retrieve the last mouse position in ‘Rating History’.

Thank you very much in advance for any help on this issue which has been persisting for months!

Hard to know what would cause this. Are you able to update to a newer version though? Also, is this in the older Rating object or the newer “Slider” object?

cheers,
Jon

In fact I’m facing the same issue. Regardless of the settings, the output file always displays “none” as rating response. I’m using the rating object; not the slider object. Is there any solution to the problem?

Actually I wanted to use the survey component. But since this cannot be displayed online, I wanted to switch to rating scale. I’d be glad if there was any solution.

Please use the Slider not the Rating. The Slider is the one that will work online (and is more likely to work in tha lab as well!)

Thanks a lot for your reply, Jon! Let me just tell you that I really enjoy working with psychopy and it’s great to get help so quickly. However, it is a pity that, for example, the form component can not be displayed online. Is this perhaps still planned for the near future?

Hello! Apologies for the delay in replying Jon!
Faye, seeing as the ‘Nones’ appeared only when the duration was less than 1 second, we resolved the issue was by limiting the duration of the ‘Mouse’ to 0.1 seconds, and the ‘Rating’ duration was set to infinite. Now everything is working fine, hope this helps!

Thanks for your hint, @aykolesnikova. My attempts to solve the problem just lead to new issues so far; I might try this too.

By now I was following your advice @jon and used the slider component instead of the rating component, which leads to new problems, since the sliders won’t work out online.

When running the experiment offline the scales look like this:
grafik

And here’s what it looks like being run online:

Even the slider’s style is completely different. Is there any solution to this? I already tried changig the screen units, which didn’t make any difference.

Whatever issue you’re currently having is closer than the original Rating Component which is definitely not supported online (it doesn’t generate any JavaScript code at all).

Yes, we do absolutely plan to have Form component working online very soon.

It looks like the slider style isn’t being supported. That’s something we’d need to look into. I’m not clear from this whether @dvbridges needs to change the output code from Builder or @apitiot needs to change something in the JS library. @Faye could you give us the link to your experiment so we can investigate?

This makes complete sense. If duration is too short then no response is collected. @aykolesnikova What I’m puzzled by is that you have a mouse component as well as the Slider. That could potentially lead to some strange interactions?

Thanks for your answer, @jon. Here is the link to the experiment:

https://run.pavlovia.org/KatrinB/troubleshooting/html/

When programming the sliders I inserted code components for each scale, for example on the second “page” of the experiment:

grafik

In the experiment I use radio style as well as rating style. Both are not displayed online the way they look offline.

Hi @Faye, I am wondering why you have code components which recreate each one of your sliders. You should be able to just use Builder to create your sliders and PsychoPy will write the code for this for you. Code components are currently manually translated from Python to JavaScript (JS), so you have to write the JS equivalent yourself. If you did want to use a code component to make a slider for online studies, you would have to go to your code component, select a code type of “Both” or “JS” and paste to following for the equivalent of the above code:

adhs_slider = new visual.Slider({
    win: psychoJS.window, name: 'adhs_slider',
    size: [1.0, 0.1], pos: [0, (- 0.4)],
    labels: undefined, ticks: [1, 2, 3, 4, 5],
    granularity: 1, style: [visual.Slider.Style.RADIO],
    color: new util.Color('LightGray'), 
    labelHeight: .1,
    fontFamily: 'HelveticaBold', bold: true, italic: false, 
    flip: false,
  });

I think it would be best if you created your sliders using Builder, and styling them using the dialog box provided. Then, you would not need to translate your code from Python to JS.

Hi @dvbridges, thanks for your help - I totally get yout point. The reason I inserted code components is that I want to adjust the label height as well as the marker size of several sliders during the experiment, which, as far as I know, cannot be done using the dialogue box. Is there any easier way to do this or should I stick to code components?

@Faye, looks like the labelHeight cannot be changed when you create the Slider object. So, to change the label height for your online tasks, you will need to add the following to a code component:

// Begin routine
adhs_slider._fontSize = <your_font_size>

Thanks for your advice, @dvbridges and @jon. I was pretty optimistic to be able to build the experiment without any more issues. But now suddenly Psychopy won’t sync with pavlovia anymore. Every time I click on the “sync with web project” button, the little “synchronising” pop-up window opens and immediately afterwards psychopy crashes. There aren’t any error messages or something. What confuses me is that it happens with all psyexp files, including those that I’ve been able to sync so far. I have no problem displaying them offline. Is there currently any known errors?

@Faye, would you mind sharing your task so I can see what is happening?

Hi @dvbridges. I have a bunch of psyexp files to test where the error might be. Psychopy crashes with each task, even those that could be synchronized so far without any problems. As an example here is a file containing only the first (quite simple) routine of my experiment, consisting of two text components, one code component and one keyboard component. test1.psyexp (8.7 KB)

Note that Psychopy crashes even when I sync a task consisting of just a routine with one text componend, not to mention files with more routines.

Thanks, I have not got any issues uploading this task to Pavlovia. Are there any errors that appear in the command console? @jon, any idea why this might be happening?

Hi @dvbridges, I have reinstalled psychopy in the meantime, but the problem still exists. I have checked if the coder view indicates any errors (or anything else) trying to sync, but since psychopy freezes immediately, the output shell remains empty.

Here’s what Windows 10’s event viewer says:

Log Name: Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:         22.08.2019 17:16:07
Event-ID:   1002
Task Category:(101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:Classic
User:      n/a
Computer:      DESKTOP-5P3EVJG
Description:
The program python.exe Version 3.6.6150.1013 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process -ID: 22e8
 Start Time: 01d558fc23fe1fb5
  Termination Time: 46
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\python.exe
 Report -ID: 0a1dc86f-e2b1-4ed0-bccd-ea15e4d8cabc
 Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
 Relative Anwendungs-ID des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
 Absturztyp: Unknown

Event-XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>101</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-08-22T15:16:07.621355000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1105</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-5P3EVJG</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>python.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.6.6150.1013</Data>
    <Data>22e8</Data>
    <Data>01d558fc23fe1fb5</Data>
    <Data>46</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\python.exe</Data>
    <Data>0a1dc86f-e2b1-4ed0-bccd-ea15e4d8cabc</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>Unknown</Data>
    <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I’m somewhat in a loss by now.

HI @Faye, I am sorry but I do not know what is happening with your app. One thing to try though, is to clear your preferences:

https://www.psychopy.org/troubleshooting.html#cleaning-preferences-and-app-data

Also, when you create each new task, are you providing them with a new fresh folder, that does not sit in another folder that already has a Pavlovia project inside?