psychopy.org | Reference | Downloads | Github

Getting an fMRI experiement going regarding screenshots in an excel file

OS (e.g. Win10 or OS X El Capitan):
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x):
What are you trying to achieve?:

I am trying to create an fMRI experiment involving pulling screenshots of twitter messages from an excel spreadsheet and presenting them to participants in the MRI scanner for about 15 seconds each. Within that 15 seconds they will see a question and respond using an MRI compatible controller. Is there an open source script available similar to my needs? I should state I am also a beginner and learning. Thanks!

Any existing script will take as much effort and understanding to modify as it will take to create this simple task from scratch.

Start by ignoring that this is an fMRI study and just get the stimuli displaying from the list in your Excel file and collecting responses from a mouse or keyboard. Once that is done, you can start on the MRI-specific aspects.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response, I know the MRI controller is a simple USB that corresponds to numbers for each finger. Would you say everything I need to know is in the documentation?

Not sure what that means. Do you mean that it acts as a USB keyboard? If so, just treat it as such. If it is a device with its own driver, things get more complicated.

Hey Michael,

I was wondering if you had any insight into this error I am getting:

Mac OS El Capitain
PsychoPy 1.84
Standalone

I am trying to create an fMRI experiment in which the subjects see a tweet about a certain company, then a questionnaire in which they respond either by 1, 2, 3, or 4 (because these are the numbers linked to the fMRI compatible controller). I have 6 different blocks, each of which have 16 different tweets within them (there are 16 unique tweets for each of the 6 companies). There are also 16 questions they respond to as well, however these questions are the same for each block (each block is a company). so the idea is this:

block1(fixation cross (3s) --> tweet (4s) --> question and response (8s) --> loop until all 16 tweets and questions have been seen) ---------> block2 is the identical idea the only difference being the 16 unique tweets to it. then block 3, 4, etc.

So I am using the builder view because I am fairly new to programming, and it has been working fine, however i randomly receive this error message during block1.

python[5310:423012] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/r_/jpvs_nts6kgflw5txp58fk7w0000gn/T/org.psychopy.PsychoPy2.savedState
/Applications/PsychoPy2.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/openpyxl/reader/worksheet.py:322: UserWarning: Unknown extension is not supported and will be removed
warn(msg)
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault

Is it because I have python 3 and not 2? I really have no idea.