Example code for reaching experiment using Wacom graphics tablet?

Hi all,

I have been using Matlab’s Psychtoolbox to create and run reaching experiments with a Wacom Intuos graphics tablet. I was wondering if anyone on here has experience doing the same with PsychoPy, and if so, would you be willing to share some example code? I’d also like to hear what your general thoughts are on PsychoPy’s suitability for this type of application.

Thanks!

1 Like

Wacom devices that use the wintab library / dll are supported on Windows
by the latest version of PsychoPy (2021.2.3). A 64 bit version of the wintab dll also needs to be installed.

Over the weekend, I tested the wintab demo code included with PsychoPy 2021.2.3 using a PTK-440 and found that the demo had a couple minor issues, which I have fixed. You can get the functioning version of the demo from here until the fix is pulled into release. Put the two source files in a folder and then start the pen_demo.py script.

Here is a screen capture of the demo running:

There is not really any documentation for the wintab device yet, so looking over the demo source is probably best for that. Wintab device support should be considered beta right now.

If you decide to try getting the demo going and run into any issues please let me know. Feel free to private message me if you prefer.

PS: For some background, the wintab device support in PsychoPy 2021.2.3 is a port of some of the OpenHandWrite project source, which only supports Python 2.7 and a very old version of PsychoPy.

1 Like

Thanks for your super helpful reply, sol! I will give it a try and let you know if I have any questions.

Hello,

I was just looking for this solution and it works for me.
I just have to download ans install the drivers of my old intuos tablet on Pilotes| Wacom, the best is to type your tablet model and you 'll find your drivers!

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for this, jeanJ!