| Reference | Downloads | Github

Errors at importConditions? @Pavlovia

Hi, I’m creating a relatively simple recognition-memory experiment with psychopy3.

It is without a code component, and works fine locally. But when uploaded on to Pavlovia, it does not run.


It dose not seem to load condition files (there are three .xls files). The initial dialog’s section for “all resources downloaded” does not become grey. Safar’s debugger indicates 404 error at (see attached file).
When proceed, it produces other errors: such as “throw { origin: ‘TrialHandler.importConditions’, context: when importing condition: ${resourceName}, error};” (see entire process as a desktop movie: pavlovia error - YouTube).

Is there difference as to how to identify condition files and/or its format between local psychopy and pavlovia?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don’t worry about favicon, that’s completely unrelated (and meaningless, you see that on many websites).

Can you link the gitlab repository for your experiment? Go to “view code” and link that page, and make sure to go to settings -> general -> permissions on that page and set it to “public” so we can see it.

Generally speaking the way condition files work is very similar on Pavlovia and on your own computer, but there are a few things that can cause trouble, usually having to do with specific symbols like “$” or “#”, or using a condition file for a list (e.g., if you have positions in your condition file as [5,5] and refer to $position in the object. Here are a couple relevant threads: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined (importConditions)
Online experiment issue: TypeError message

Thank you, Jonathan.

I’m not familiar with the gitlab, just got started using it for Pavlovia. I made a change as the attached, but not sure if I followed your instruction correctly.

As for the condition files, there are no symbols like “$” and “#”, nor a list type variables.

It looks like you just need to update to the most recent version of PsychoPy and it should work. I see you made it in version 3.2.4 (this is logged in the compiled code), I grabbed a copy and re-synced it from 2020.1.3 and it worked perfectly, as far as I can tell. So, get the newest version of PsychoPy, and then open your experiment and sync it, it will re-compile the JS file and that should fix the issue you’re having, I think.

If that doesn’t work, you could also try it in Chrome instead of Safari and see if this is a browser issue, but I bet it’s just a version issue.

Thank you very much. What a rookie mistake!

Here is what I did following your advices.

  1. Update Psychopy3 to ver. 2020.1.2 (I don’t know why, but the downloaded version (, this morning ) was not 2020.1.3.
  2. Re-sync, but the result was not changed; drm-legacy-browsers.js was generated and synced, but index.html was not.
  3. So, I deleted the old html folder at GitLab, then Sync.
  4. Then new files including index.html were synced, but Pilot mode resulted the same, and Running mode ( produced 403 error.
  5. So, I made a copy of local folder, deleted .git data, and created a new repository, then sync the new folder and the new repository.
  6. Now, the program is running fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regarding with the Psychopy version, I found out that the “Psychopy update…” is not working.

I will add another thread on this one.

1 Like