Error message since windows update to 1903

Welcome to PsychoPy3!
v3.1.3

########################## Running: E:\DCCSpy\DCCS.py ##########################
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\DCCSpy\DCCS.py", line 64, in <module>
    units='height')
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py", line 389, in __init__
    self.backend = backends.getBackend(win=self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends\__init__.py", line 32, in getBackend
    return Backend(win, *args, **kwargs)
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends\pygletbackend.py", line 227, in __init__
    self._origGammaRamp = self.getGammaRamp()
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends\pygletbackend.py", line 329, in getGammaRamp
    return getGammaRamp(self.screenID, self.xDisplay)
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends\gamma.py", line 128, in getGammaRamp
    raise AssertionError('GetDeviceGammaRamp failed')
AssertionError: GetDeviceGammaRamp failed
Exception ignored in: <bound method Window.__del__ of <psychopy.visual.window.Window object at 0x000002A3393D66D8>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py", line 501, in __del__
    self.close()
  File "D:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py", line 1327, in close
    self.backend.close()  # moved here, dereferencing the window prevents
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

I can run this code in windows 1809 normally. But when I update windows to 1903, this error occured. Help!

It looks like it is a known problem with the windows update; hopefully it will be fixed soon.

2 Likes

Good to know @djmannion. Thanks for tracking that down

Hi Guys,
i encountered the same problem. I couldn’t fix it but found a workaround that did the trick (at least for now). which is downgrading pyglet from 1.3.1 to 1.3.0
pip install pyglet==1.3.0
Greetings,
schmeli

this doesn’t seem to work anymore! any other updates?

We had a system update the other day and we are seeing this same error. We have tried the newest psychopy 2020 and the error persists as of 9/22/2020. Does anyone know of a resolution?