After standard windows update, none of my Psychopy Experiments work: AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'

I’m using Windows 10 and PsychopyPy3 v3.1.2.

My computer prompted me for a standard “restart and update” today (it was not major, because I was already using Windows 10), and now none of my psychopy experiments work (including Demos). The error message is pasted below. I’ve tried reinstalling psychopy, but the same error is produced. Any help/ideas is much appreciated.

File “C:\Users\rb17088\Downloads\PsychoPy3 Demos\BART\bart_lastrun.py”, line 63, in
blendMode=‘avg’, useFBO=True)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py”, line 389, in >init
self.backend = backends.getBackend(win=self, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends_init_.py”, line >32, in getBackend
return Backend(win, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site->packages\psychopy\visual\backends\pygletbackend.py”, line 227, in init
self._origGammaRamp = self.getGammaRamp()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site->packages\psychopy\visual\backends\pygletbackend.py”, line 329, in getGammaRamp
return getGammaRamp(self.screenID, self.xDisplay)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\backends\gamma.py”, line >128, in getGammaRamp
raise AssertionError(‘GetDeviceGammaRamp failed’)
AssertionError: GetDeviceGammaRamp failed
Exception ignored in: <bound method Window.del of <psychopy.visual.window.Window object at >0x000002C4214F6390>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py”, line 501, in >del
self.close()
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\visual\window.py”, line 1327, in >close
self.backend.close() # moved here, dereferencing the window prevents
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘close’

Most likely Windows has overwritten your functional graphics card driver with its own broken one. Could you try installing a graphics card driver from the vendor of your graphics card (not microsoft)?

Many thanks. Would it be possible to provide a link to a suitable download? (I don’t know much about graphics cards). The properties of my current graphics card are as follows (and I’m using Windows 10, DELL, intel inside core i3):

Aha, another detail I forgot to mention is that I use a split screen. I noticed this thread (VGA Splitter potentially causing error?)

and have since tried running the experiments when one screen is disconnected. To my relief, psychopy works - but I’d still prefer to have one screen open at the same time. So if installing a new graphics card would still help, I’d really appreciate any follow up advice regarding my post above.

Ryan

1 Like

As I am having a similar problem to you, I don’t think it is a graphics card error. When my computer updated to the new version, I retained my same graphics card, yet I still get the error. For me, it is only when using two monitors, not necessarily with a VGA splitter. Mine fails when I have one monitor with a VGA and one with DisplayPort, but it also fails when I have both connected via DisplayPort. I will post what I can of the error message; for whatever reason, I did not save it and I am currently resetting the computer to an earlier version, so I cannot reproduce it.

Any help would be appreciated because I need both monitors.

1 Like

It looks to be the same problem as in this thread; a known problem with the windows update.

1 Like

What worked for me was to turn off my extended displays. Using only screen 1 gave me a weird flickering screen, so that monitor might simply be dying or whatever, but using only screen 2 did work.