Cannot push experiment to Pavlovia

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/coder/coder.py”, line 2820, in onPavloviaSync
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/project.py”, line 844, in syncProject
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/functions.py”, line 125, in showCommitDialog
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1107, in getChanges
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 951, in repo
AttributeError: The requested local path for project
‘/Users/[username]/folder/folder/folder/workingdir’
sits inside another folder, which git will not permit. You might like to set the project local folder to be
‘/Users/[username]’

OS (e.g. Win10): iOS Sonoma 14.3
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2023.2.3.
Standard Standalone? (n) If not then what?: Initial push to Pavlovia, standalone works.
What are you trying to achieve?: Running my experiment online.

What did you try to make it work?: I moved the experiment to the suggested directory. That does not make a difference.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
It tries to commit all the files on my local machine.

Where is the experiment file currently?

In a folder on my local drive. I tried it from iCloud but that didn’t work either. However that gives me a different error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/builder/builder.py”, line 1452, in onPavloviaSync
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/project.py”, line 854, in syncProject
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/pavlovia_ui/sync.py”, line 47, in sync
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 844, in sync
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/projects/pavlovia.py”, line 1031, in firstPush
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/git/cmd.py”, line 542, in
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/git/cmd.py”, line 1005, in _call_process
File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/git/cmd.py”, line 822, in execute
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/git-core/git’) failed due to: exit code(1)
cmdline: /Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/git-core/git push -u Sign in · GitLab master
stderr: ‘error: src refspec master does not match any.
error: failed to push some refs to ‘Sign in · GitLab’’

This issue is now resolved. My local machine defaults to naming the main branch “main”, instead of pavlovia’s desired “master”. It appears this naming conflict was the root of the issue.

To fix the issue, one can create a new project on the gitlab page, then add all the documents, and clone it to your local machine. I’m sure there are less onerous ways to do it, but this does the trick.