Builder options for feedback on input length and pulling words from a list conditioned on previous input?

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (macOS Mojave):
PsychoPy version : 3.1.2
What are you trying to achieve?: I am trying to create a memory experiment where participants study a list of words and then try to free recall them (recall whichever word comes to mind). I need a few things: (1) they need to be able to see what they are typing (2) if the word they type is longer than 5 letters, they should be given feedback and told to try again (3) before every word they recall, a β€œprime” word needs to be presented, which should be a word from the study list EXCEPT any word that has already been recalled and any word that has already been presented as a prime

What did you try to make it work?: I have managed to get (1) to work using some code chunks. (2) is giving me an issue when I try to create the feedback loop and count the length of the input response, somehow it either skips the loop entirely or gives feedback even for 5-letter strings. (3) i dont know how to do this, but I am guessing I need to create a global variable that tracks all words that have been typed or used as primes? Is there a straightforward way to do this?

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
I tried doing a feedback loop where the nReps depended on a variable like feedbackRep, which would be assigned 0 or 1 depending on the length of the input string, but I think the issue is that the length is not being computed correctly. I am attaching the experiment as I have it right now, any help is appreciated!
15ItemRecall .psyexp (72.2 KB)15ItemRecall.xlsx (9.1 KB)

Hi @abhilashak9, something very similar to your requirements has already been created as a demo on Pavlovia. You just need to get a local copy of the task here so you can open in it in Builder to see the code components which make it respond to user input.

Here is the online version running so you can see how the task runs in a browser:

https://run.pavlovia.org/demos/textinput/html/.

Hi David, thanks for your reply! I have actually managed to get this task up and running and fixed some of these issues already – but thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

1 Like