What do you think of the new Discourse forum?

not that it matters much as its fine as it is, (but prefer open in a new tab though)

just to stir it up a bit :slight_smile: … how about

• Psychopy Home
  • User Manual
  • Progammers Manual (or API or Reference Manual)
  • Downloads & Developments

ie 2 words each

1 Like

@jon, @rob.stone: good comments and suggestions! And this is not at all top priority.

The forum looks clean and everything, but I was saddened to hear that you are leaving stackoverflow.
I think it’s great to have that as a one-stop shop for all questions coding.
After all, where does Python stop and where does PsychoPy start?

I shudder to think that other libraries I use (pandas, scikit*, sqlalchemy, matplotlib, etc.) would also move to their own forums.

I guess because most users of PsychoPy aren’t really asking coding questions. i.e. most questions are more about using the Builder GUI, and that isn’t really suited to the StackOverflow model of a well-formed question accompanied by a single canonical answer. i.e. StackOverflow suits experienced Python coders who can pose a good question that may be of value to others in the future.

But the majority of Builder users need more of a dialog and to-and-fro instruction to solve their issue, rather than a single definitive answer. And this forum seems to be much more effective in that mode than either StackOverflow or the Google mailing list. Coding users might be missing out on the wider input from the Python StackOverflow community, but again, most questions there are heavily tied to the PsychoPy library and so most answers still came from the usual suspects in the small PsychoPy community. We’re tending to find that concentrating our efforts here works better for both users and those offering support.

But StackOverflow undoubtedly remains the best place to go for general Python programming questions.

Michael

1 Like

I don’t see us telling people not to post on stack. I’ll keep monitoring that for ‘psychopy’ and I imagine others will too.

Discourse now achieves a lot of the benefits of stack (like gaining kudos/badges for your activity) and then some more (like warning posters that their new topic looks similar to an existing one) but for people like you that will ask clear stack-style questions I think that’s fine too.

As long as people aren’t double-posting (and not using the google-group; that will be discontinued in the end) I don’t mind whether they post to stack or discourse.

I’ve actually redirected two SO questions here, just to have everything in one place. But a “policy” could be to redirect questions about Builder and questions which are not clearly stated. But to answer concise coding questions on SO, if they are posted there.

The advantage of having everything in one place is that there will be more content for the duplication-checker.

1 Like

That sounds like a nice policy concept. Whether it will work might be another issue entirely: my experience with my last question was that I got a lot better and faster support here than over at SO.

It might be that as soon as people start feeling like this is their first home, the damage to psychopy’s presence on SO is done…

Can you implement the latest.rss feature (see here for discourse example: https://meta.discourse.org/latest.rss )? I prefer to get updates on posts via RSS. Thanks.