WARNING Couldn’t measure a consistent frame rate!

Hey there,

I successfully programmed my first experiment with Psychopy (v 2022.2.4). It runs without problems on my Mac (version 12.6, graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB) and also on a Windows machine. However, it does not work on a MacAir M1, 2020 or on another Mac with graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.

Both gave me the same error message including the following code:

10.7085     WARNING     Couldn’t measure a consistent frame rate!
  - Is your graphics card set to sync to vertical blank?
  - Are you running other processes on your computer?

oHub Server Process Completed With Code:  Negsignal.SIGSEGV File “/Users/jonakunz/Downloads/DPEX/DT_aktuellsinika_eng.py”, line 94, in <module>  ioServer = io.launchHubServer(window=win, **ioConfig) File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/contrib/lazy_import.py”, line 118, in __call__ return obj(*args, **kwargs)File“/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/iohub/client/connect.py”, line 256, in launchHubServer return ioHubConnection(iohub_config) File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/iohub/client/__init__.py”, line 296, in __init__ raise RuntimeError(‘Error starting ioHub server: {}’.format(self.iohub_status))
RuntimeError: Error starting ioHub server: ioHub startup failed.
#################

Does anyone have an idea how to resolve the issue? Can I change something in my experiment code (I have e.g. no monitor specification)? Or do we need to change something in the computer settings?

I am by no means a programmer (yet), so any help that is somehow understandable would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Sinika

I could solve the issue by changing the “Input Monitors” settings. The people where the script wasn’t running have not allowed PsychoPy to have access to their computer/Mac (under Security & Privacy)

Hi There,

This usually happens when something is causing the monitor to drop frames e.g. too many background processes, your computer graphics card might not be good enough, your running too much code frame to frame. This won’t stop your experiment working, but if you see this on the device that you intend to run your study on and you need good timing I’de suggest trying to minimize background processes for a start!

Becca

I am still running into this issue and have been unable to find “Input Monitor” settings and am unsure what to change.

I am using a 2022 MacBook Air with a M2 Chip running macOS Ventura 13.5.1 on a 13.6 (2560 x 1664) Liquid Retina Display.