Visual analogue scale - hide numeric values?

Hi everyone,

I’m developing a metacognition experiment in PsychoPy (v. 1.90.1, Standalone) on a Win10 laptop and I need a visual analogue scale to measure confidence. However, I can’t find a way to remove the numeric values (0 and 1) from the extremities of the Psychopy VAS. I looked for code components to add but I couldn’t find anything that modifies this.
Is there any way to hide them?
I need the word labels (“Not at all confident”, “Extremely confident”) but I would also like to have the answers recorded on a 0-100 scale (or an equivalent 0-1) as the analogue scale does (so switching to cathegorical wouldn’t do).

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Sonia

Hi @soni.ponzo, there are two options. You could use the new Slider scale in PsychoPy 3 which have no labels by default, so you can edit your own labels see here.

Alternatively, stick with rating scale and initialise the rating scale at the beginning of every routine using a code component, and add the labels in as arguments to the rating object. It has to be this way, because you cannot change the labels of rating scale after it has been intialised, and the analogue rating scale does not use custom labels that are given in Builder view. See below for example

###### Begin Routine ######
rating = visual.RatingScale(win=win, name='rating', marker='triangle', size=1.0, pos=[0.0, -0.4], low=0, high=1, precision=100, showValue=False, scale='', labels = ['Not confident at all', 'Extremely confident']) # See labels parameter for adding your custom labels
1 Like

Hi dvbridges,
Thanks for your reply!
It worked perfectly with the additional code in the builder at the beginning of the routine - thanks again, much appreciated.

Sonia

Great, yes the use of the code at beginning of routine was in case you had already initiated a scale in Builder, so adding at the beginning of a routine would have overwritten the Builder version. Still, it is better to put at the beginning of the experiment and remove your Builder rating scale component :wink: