Varying study items in one routine before test item

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): MacOS Big Sur
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2021.1.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Y
What are you trying to achieve?:
I have a paired associates task composed of word pairs. Participants will see between 3-6 word pairs in each trial. Once seeing the pairs they should be probed on a pair (either an original pair or recombined pair from previous pairs). There should be 24 trials in each run and 5 runs in total. Between each run, participants will complete some questions about how they feel. I want the runs to be randomized, so some participants get order 12345, 23451, 34512, etc.

What did you try to make it work?:
I predetermined all the study pairs and the probe pairs and put them into an excel file (any of the Order#.xlsx files). I have a column for word1 (left word) and word2 (right word) as well as a probepair variable (0 = no probe, 1 = there is a probe) and the probe pair words in a similar format to the study words. I have an “encoding” routine that displays the study words, then once it comes across a 1 in the probepair column to move to the Probe loop to probe and give participant feedback. Then back to encoding until probepair = 1, etc. Then at the end of the run I’d like participants to complete the questions, so I added an EndRun variable to the conditions file. WHen that equals 1 its supposed to move onto the questionnaire loop. I used many loops and nested loops to accomplish the study/probe words as well as implimenting the questionnaires after each run. This is so complicated to explain, I apologize. Attached are my files.

example.xlsx (9.4 KB)
FCAssocP_OA.psyexp (461.6 KB)
metaFilePAS.xlsx (8.6 KB)
metaFileRUN.xlsx (8.5 KB)
Order1.xlsx (34.7 KB)
Order2.xlsx (34.8 KB)
Order3.xlsx (34.8 KB)
Order4.xlsx (34.9 KB)
Order5.xlsx (35.0 KB)
practice.xlsx (11.0 KB)

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

I currently do not get any errors, but the program isn’t running the file from top to bottom it seems. There will be trials of only one or two pairs then probe the wrong probe pair. I know there has to be a simpler set up, but for the life of me I cannot think of other ways to set this task up.