Variable timing for playing audio prompt

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): MacOS Monterey 12.6 / Windows 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 1.3 (Mac) and 2.4 (Windows)
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: yes
What are you trying to achieve?:
I’m trying to set variable timing for an auditory prompt in an experiment.

In this experiment, participants see a written stimulus, and then should respond vocally to this stimulus after they hear 3 beeps. Each stimulus should appear 3 times in the experiment, followed by 2 beeps (after 2 seconds and after 1 second), but then the timing of the third beep should vary between 800 ms, 1200 ms, and 1400 ms.

In other words, the participant sees the same stimulus 3 times throughout the experiment at three different planning durations (the 3 beeps), but they shouldn’t be able to predict exactly when the third beep will occur.

What did you try to make it work?:

Does anyone here know how one could do this? My first thought was to have the conditions spreadsheet contain 3 copies of each stimulus with a Latency_ms column which sets the timing of the 3rd beep to start 800 ms, 1200 ms, or 1300 ms after the second beep, but I’m not sure how to refer to that in the builder.

Any tips are very much appreciated!

Hi @JJMS, rather than setting the timing relative to the second beep (800ms after second beep) you could simply use absolute (relative to routine begin) onset latencies (onset of second beep + 800ms). Then, you can use $Latency_ms in the “start” field of your third beep component.

1 Like

So simple, thanks!!

1 Like