"Use Psychopy Version" not listing anything other than "latest"

Hello,
I installed the latest version of Psychopy (v2021.2.1) on Windows 10.

So, I need to run an old experiment built in an older version of Psychopy. However, when I open the “Experiment settings” and I try to select the old version from “Use Psychopy version”, the only version allowed is “latest”.

There is no other option (e.g. 3.0.5 etc)
Any suggestion for this problem?

Thank you.

Hi There,

I just checked this out on windows 10 with the newest bug fix release (2021.2.2) and it looks to be there. Could you try installing that and see if it works?Release PsychoPy 2021.2.2 · psychopy/psychopy · GitHub

Thanks!
Becca

Hi Becca,
thank you.
I tried to install the release 2021.2.2 but it doesn’t work!

How Bizarre! Let me check in with the team so we can try and replicate it and hopefully fix that.
Becca

1 Like

Ok so apparently there are a couple of possible causes here. Essentially PsychoPy can’t access the git repo where those versions are stored. This could be because there is no internet connection (but given then you have a browser open there, and can respond to me… I don’t think that is the issue :sweat_smile: ) alternatively it could be that there is no git support - can I check - did you download the standalone version?

Becca

Yes, I downloaded the standalone version.

Ah ok!
I have an internet connection but I’m connected by means of a smartphone used as router, not on a normal wi-fi connection! This could be the problem.

I will check with a standard wi-fi connection.

In the meantime, many thanks!

Andrea

Oh fingers crossed that fixes it then!

Becca

1 Like

Andrea, I’m curious why this wouldn’t work too! Could you open the coder view and create script that simply has this in it:

from psychopy import useVersion
useVersion("2021.2.1")

What happens when you run that script? Hopefully something appears in the output view.

If this successfully fetches the versions then from then onwards you won’t need the internet connection anyway (it will use the local store of those versions that it just downloaded).

On the other hand, it may also give us some error message that might indicate why it isn’t working.

Hi Jon,
I did it and I got this message:

################## Running: C:\Users\Andrea\Documents\sds.py ###################
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Andrea\Documents\sds.py”, line 2, in
useVersion(“2021.2.1”)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\tools\versionchooser.py”, line 84, in useVersion
raise ValueError(msg.format(requestedVersion))
ValueError: Unknown version 2021.2.1

Experiment ended.