USB-Parallel Output Port Stimulus

1. You are going from a USB connection to a TTL input → this means the inpout32 driver is not needed: That driver is for parallel ports … but you are using USB to output data
  2. The correct way to go from USB to a TTL input would be to have the “USB adapter” emulate a serial port … and then use pyserial or a similar library to send serial data (bytes, i.e., numbers from 0 to 255) to that emulated serial port
  3. The USB to parallel port cable you are using seems to be one “of these cables” that only work with printers … as far as I know, they do not adequately emulate a serial port from which you could then send data
  4. You said you see a signal when un/plugging the cable: This could be due to the power going in and out of the cable … as such I would not take it as a proof that the system works

Solution

Your problem is very common and luckily, there are numerous devices targeted at resolving the problem.

For example: LabHackers Research Equipment : USB2TTL8 Adapter … or c-pod Home … Google will help you to find the rest :slight_smile:

1 Like