Unspecified JavaScript error & error closing session

Hey @sotiri! Okay wow, that does sound problematic and complicated! Thank you so so much for digging into this!! At least now I know what the issue is, even if there isn’t an easy fix possible.
And I guess it would be possible to restrict the usable devices and browsers :thinking: Not that I have any other choice it seems :smiley:

So can I assume then, since I am getting similar and/or the same error at the end of the experiment on all browsers (safari, chrome iOS, Firefox iOs) I use on the iPad, that that logging problem is kind of iPad specific? And I should instruct participants to avoid them altogether, just to be on the safe side ? I’m really afraid I will lose data in the end, if participants try to do the experiment with the “wrong” device…

Hi @Rika, sorry that was about the boot time error and would explain the end of experiment data sending glitch as well, what other cross browser issues are you having that are iPad specific? For me it seems to be running fine on Safari for example, x

Hi @sotiri, no problem :slight_smile:
The end of experiment data sending glitch part. With the closing sessions error (see pictures above somewhere). On all browsers on the iPad the sessions cannot close properly and I end on the page with the “blob:” bit in the address bar.
Weird that it runs fine on your Safari, but it never did on my iPad with Safari. On a Macbook it seemed to work fine though too (a friend tried it recently).

Hi @Rika, oh OK, sounds like I need to test wider then, on it, thanks, x

1 Like

Hey @sotiri and @thomas_pronk! I have an update for you! I think I figured out what the problem is. There seems to be an issue with the piloting mode and closing sessions of my experiment on iPad Safari or Firefox iOS.
While I am in PILOTING mode, the experiment complains at the end with the closing session error as mentioned above multiple times. This is propably due to the logging error with log4javascript.js which you mentioned (?).
BUT once I change the mode to RUNNING, the experiment runs perfectly fine on both iPad browsers Safari and Firefox iOS! There is no longer a problem with closing the session propably and I am able to download the results afterwards without problem.
I don’t know what this sorcery is, but for whatever reason, it seems to work for now and I hope it stays that way :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That is probably something you or someone of the developer team should look into for future updates though, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thnx @Rika! I’ve got a hunch as to what the problem is:

• If you’re running an experiment in PILOTING, the data is offered for downloading, but iOS doesn’t allow you to download files to your device. This could cause quite a hickup.
  • If you’re running an experiment in RUNNING, the data is stored on Pavlovia, so no problems with file system access.
2 Likes

I feel like something is still not working properly with my experiment. I created another topic for this - maybe you could take a look?