"Unhandled Internal Error" when I try to run my experiment

Hi,

I’ve just built a phrasal judgement task using the builder mode on Psychopy version 2020.2.0 on Windows 10 OS. I followed multiple tutorial videos to ensure I got every step right and it looks like I have.

However, when I attempt to run the experiment, it presents me with this message:

"Psychopy encountered an unhandled internal error! Please send the report under “Details” to the developers with a description of what you were doing with the software when the error occurred

"Traceback (most recent call last):
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\runner\runner.py”, line 731, in onItemSelected**
** self.updateAlerts()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\runner\runner.py”, line 752, in updateAlerts**
** self.currentExperiment.integrityCheck()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment_experiment.py”, line 154, in integrityCheck**
** self.flow.integrityCheck()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\flow.py”, line 124, in integrityCheck**
** entry.integrityCheck()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\routine.py”, line 52, in integrityCheck**
** entry.integrityCheck()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\components_base.py”, line 669, in integrityCheck**
** win = alerttools.TestWin(self.exp)**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\alerts\alerttools.py”, line 17, in init**
** self.monitor = self.exp.settings.monitor**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\components\settings_init_.py”, line 901, in monitor**
** self._monitor = Monitor(self.params[‘Monitor’].val)**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\monitors\calibTools.py”, line 126, in init**
** self._loadAll()**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\monitors\calibTools.py”, line 446, in loadAll**
** encoding=‘utf-8’, preserve_order=False)**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\json_tricks\nonp.py”, line 226, in load**
** allow_duplicates=allow_duplicates, conv_str_byte=conv_str_byte, jsonkwargs)
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\json_tricks\nonp.py”, line 202, in loads**
** return json_loads(string, object_pairs_hook=hook, jsonkwargs)
** File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\json_init
.py", line 367, in loads**
** return cls(kw).decode(s)
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\json\decoder.py”, line 339, in decode**
** obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())**
** File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\json\decoder.py”, line 357, in raw_decode**
** raise JSONDecodeError(“Expecting value”, s, err.value) from None**
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)"

As far as I can tell, this is the only problem I am experiencing with Psychopy. The experiment and the commands all seem to be correct but I have no way of knowing because I cannot run the experiment. Any suggestions on what to do and/or previous experiences with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Liam

Hello Liam

interesting to say that the experiment and the commands are correct given that the experiment is not running :wink:

Anyway, do you mind uploading a toy(!)-version of your experiment? If you use “external” stimuli such as image-files or sound-files you need to include some as well. Also include a toy-version of your excel-file, in case you are using one. I guess you can’t sync or can you? In this case you could also give access to project (making it public and posting the link) instead of posting your experiment here.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens,

Thank you for your reply! The only external file my experiment contains is an excel file which i used for my stimuli.

I’m not entirely sure how to upload it onto this page but I will be able to upload it to Pavlovia’s website and make it public if that helps? This seems to be the only option Psychopy seems to be giving me.

Many thanks,
Liam

Hello Liam,

there is an upload button above the writing area in the menu.

grafik

Success Jens

Hi Jens,

Oh, thank you - I was looking for this option on the actual PsychoPy software rather than this site. Here’s my experiment:

PJTExperiment.psyexp (14.3 KB)

I uploaded it to Pavlovia as well and it wouldn’t let me run it (as I expected). However, it specifically mentioned my Excel file as causing problems. I’m not sure - I’m very unfamiliar with this kind of software and this is the first time I’ve ever used PsychoPy or anything even like it

Kind regards,
Liam

Hello Liam,

if PsychoPy complains about your Excel-file, it would be helpful if you uploaded this as well.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens,

Of course, silly me. Here it is

Many thanks,
Liam

Experiment Variables.xlsx (9.1 KB)

Hello Liam

I assume the error you encountered was due to the fact that the Excelfile was not in the same folder as the experiment. It was …\Liam\Experiment Variables.xlsx

Copy the Excelfile into the experiment folder and change the path accordingly.

grafik

Looks like an interesting experiment.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the advice! It made sense that the issue with the Excel file was that it was in a different folder to the experiment.

I followed your instructions. However, the same message is still popping up and I remain unable to run my experiment. I honestly can’t understand it.

Kind regards,
Liam

Hello Liam

sorry to hear that because the experiment runs locally and on-line without problems for me. I have been using 2020.2.10. You seem to using an older version.

Best wishes Jens

Hi Jens,

Okay…if the experiment is running fine for you then that’s bizarre. I downloaded what I thought was the latest version from a link given to me by my university. As you can see, when I open PsychoPy it tells me I’m using version 2020.2.10 as well. It doesn’t tell me which version I’m using when I’m on the builder interface but it does for the Runner and Coder modes.

Again, if it’s working for you then that’s even more bizarre. I made sure I downloaded the correct version for my computer too (Windows 64 Bit).

Kind regards,
Liam