Unhandled internal error: script has been working fine and suddenly can't run on several devices

I’ve been running and adding edits to a task for several days without issues. Since yesterday, I suddenly cannot run the task on my several different devices that I try it on. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling psychopy without any change.

I’m working on a Mac, ventura 13.4.1 (22F82). PsychoPy version 2023.1.3. The error can be found below. I’ve also attached a copy of the task. I can’t figure out if I’ve added something that caused the error?

File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/builder/builder.py”, line 1248, in runFile
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/app/runner/runner.py”, line 748, in runLocal
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/scripts/psyexpCompile.py”, line 77, in generateScript
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/scripts/psyexpCompile.py”, line 213, in compileScript
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/scripts/psyexpCompile.py”, line 193, in _makeTarget
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/_experiment.py”, line 280, in writeScript
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/flow.py”, line 234, in writeBody
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/routines/_base.py”, line 477, in writeMainCode
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/components/static/__init__.py”, line 103, in writeFrameCode
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/components/static/__init__.py”, line 188, in writeStopTestCode
  File “/Applications/PsychoPy.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.8/psychopy/experiment/components/static/__init__.py”, line 236, in writeParamUpdates
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘params’

BLoCKS_category_EEG_V9.psyexp (117.7 KB)

So I discovered that this happens whenever a component is disabled for testing, in case this comes up for anyone else. It’s a shame because I wanted to be able to test with some components disabled occasionally but I’ll find a way around it!

I’m looking at minimal demos for this kind of issue. What component did you disable? I haven’t noticed this issue and do often disable components myself.

Sure! I had one image component and one parallel out component disabled.

1 Like

I can’t see a parallel out component in your psyexp. Which routine is it in?

Do you have any code referring to one of the disabled components?

Ah sorry, something that isn’t in the version I uploaded but caused the same issue earlier on in the day.

With the version uploaded, on routine “object_one”, there is an image component called “object1_up” that is disabled. Removing the disabling function on that component also stopped the internal error.

Thanks. The issue appears to be related to “set during ITI”

To disable a component try changing this to set each repeat as well as selecting disable.

Clearly this isn’t intended behaviour, so I will continue making a minimal demo and report it.

1 Like

Interesting - that’s really helpful, thank you!