Unhandled Error

OS (e.g. Win10): Windows 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2020.2.10
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: yes
What are you trying to achieve?:
Open an experiment file programmed on another computer. The experiment file i am trying to open was programmed by another person on another computer (with the same PsychoPy Version), where it works normally. However, when i try to open it on my system (which is required for the data collection), it does not work.

What did you try to make it work?:
tried opening the file on other computers to check if the problem was with my machine. I checked the colors used in the experiment (since the last line of the error report - see below - refer to the color parameter). None of these worked.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?:
the following error message:
“PsychoPy encountered an unhandled internal error! Please send the report under “Details” to the developer with a description of what you were doing with the software when the error occured”

The report is as follows:
“Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1183, in compileScript
self.generateScript(experimentPath=fullPath, exp=self.exp)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 73, in generateScript
compileScript(infile=exp, version=None, outfile=filename)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 242, in compileScript
_makeTarget(thisExp, outfile, targetOutput)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\scripts\psyexpCompile.py”, line 221, in makeTarget
script = thisExp.writeScript(outfile, target=targetOutput)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment_experiment.py”, line 202, in writeScript
self_copy.settings.writeWindowCode(script) # create our visual.Window()
File "C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\components\settings_init
.py”, line 768, in writeWindowCode
buff.writeIndentedLines(code % self.params)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\experiment\params.py”, line 215, in str
self.valType)
TypeError: Can’t represent a Param of type color
"

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best,
ts

There’s a problem with 2021 experiments which means that the text components aren’t backwards compatible.

I solved this by editing the psyexp file in a text editor to change the text colour values from type color to type str. Something else needs changing or deleting too.

Thanks so much for your reply!
This was indeed the problem - however as you mentioned it was not the only issue. Along with color values, it also showd errors for the ‘flip’ values which were “None” but should have been empty strings.
It also showed an error for the conditions file type, which i couldn’t really solve, so i just uninstalled the old version and installed the 2021 version, and it works now!
I made an error in my initial post, it was infact programmed with a 2021 Version on a different machine. ANyway installing the new version has solved the problem.

Thanks again :slight_smile: