Unable to play movies using moviepy on Mac: ffmpeg error

OS (e.g. Win10): OS X Yosemite
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): PsychoPy2 v1.90.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) : y
What are you trying to achieve?: Play video stimuli in a simple experiment. The experiment works fine on my Macbook but using a MacMini (which I will be collecting the data on) the experiment crashes when trying to play videos. The full error text is below.

What did you try to make it work?: I’ve checked that the ffmpeg exe file is installed in the correct folder (it is here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 15.18.07.png

We also have ffmpeg installed separately on the Mac. I’ve looked through the forum and see others have had similar problems, but I can’t find an exact solution - are there any new suggestions for this issue? Or is it a case of trying opencv backend and VLC player instead?

Thank you for any help! :slight_smile:

Running: /Users/ECLabUsers/Documents/Briony/Exp 2.3/Segmentation task_lastrun.py
pyo version 0.8.6 (uses single precision)
2018-09-11 14:41:00.487 python[63778:1083953] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to /var/folders/m5/4b57_l_n20n9vy9l0q9wphcw0000gq/T/org.psychopy.PsychoPy2.savedState
WARNING:root:Warning: could not find imageio’s ffmpeg executable:
[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: ‘/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/imageio/resources/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-osx-v3.2.4’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/ECLabUsers/Documents/Briony/Exp 2.3/Segmentation task_lastrun.py”, line 99, in
depth=0.0,
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/contrib/lazy_import.py”, line 120, in call
return obj(*args, **kwargs)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/visual/movie3.py”, line 134, in init
self.loadMovie(self.filename)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/psychopy/visual/movie3.py”, line 180, in loadMovie
self._mov = VideoFileClip(filename, audio=(1 - self.noAudio))
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/moviepy/video/io/VideoFileClip.py”, line 81, in init
fps_source=fps_source)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/moviepy/video/io/ffmpeg_reader.py”, line 32, in init
fps_source)
File “/Applications/PsychoPy2_1903.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/moviepy/video/io/ffmpeg_reader.py”, line 256, in ffmpeg_parse_infos
proc = sp.Popen(cmd, **popen_params)
File “subprocess.pyc”, line 711, in init
N(
File “subprocess.pyc”, line 1343, in _execute_child

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

For anyone who has the same issue: I solved this by changing the folder permissions in the filepath to the ffmpeg exe file (I was using a shared lab computer with restricted permissions - I needed ‘editing’ rights for all folders)