Videos causing PsychoPy 2020.2.4 to crash on macOS

OS (e.g. Win10): macOS Catalina 10.15.7
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 2020.2.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) yes
What are you trying to achieve?: Everything worked great until I added videos to my experiment. If I try disabling them everything works just fine, as soon as I include them in my code, the experiment starts normally and it stops right before the first video. The problem is that there is no error message so I don’t know where to look.

What did you try to make it work?:
I tried running it on Win10 + the same (the 2020.2.4) PsychoPy version and it works fine. It must be due to some issues with macOS.

Here is what I get:
############ Running: /Users/renato/Desktop/LLAMA/LLAMA_lastrun.py #############
39.2986 INFO Loaded monitor calibration from [‘2020_10_06 21:14’]
2020-10-12 19:20:33.765 python[79907:3826879] ApplePersistenceIgnoreState: Existing state will not be touched. New state will be written to (null)

Experiment ended.

The error message muting is a known bug which will be fixed in 2020.2.5, you can fix it in the short term by going to your preferences and setting default view to Builder, Coder and Runner so that Runner is definitely initialised and the error messages are sent there - if you close Runner at any point it will unlink and you will lose error messages until you next restart the app, so make sure you keep it open. Once you have error messages we can start to figure out what’s going on with this video!

Thanks TParsons. Yes, I made sure that the runner is open and the message above is what I get in it. I forgot to mention that this error brings the “PsychoPy quit unexpectedly” pop up message where I have three options: Ignore, Report, and Reopen. Ignore and Reopen lead to the same thing - PsychoPy stays open like nothing happened.

Here is a .xlsx file with error log (generated by the OS).ProcessErrorForPsychoPy.xlsx (53.1 KB)

Hello,
I see that this is an old post, but I have the exact same problem as you, pavle, with Psychopy v2021.2.0. Experiment is running on Windows, crashing without error on Mac except for that ApplePersistenceIgnoreState message and the pop up window, and the movie seems to be the issue. Could you resolve the problem, in the end?
Many thanks in advance.

Hello MarieLo. I managed to resolve the issue by adjusting the size of my video. If I am not mistaken, once I changed the variable “units” from “from exp settings” to “pix” and manually entered desired size, everything worked fine.

Hello pavle, thanks for you reply. Unfortunately, I do have “pix” and a desired size entered already, so that can’t be it in my case… But you’ve given me a hint as to where the issue might be, I’ll try to play around with those settings a bit. Thank you!

I am having a similar issue in the Coder! I have a loop that displays 6 approximately 4-minute videos, and my experiment consistently crashes when it reaches the end of the first or second video, producing no error message other than the “ApplePersistenceIgnoreState” one. The time at which is crashes is inconsistent, and occasionally I’m able to get through the whole task. If you find a solution, please let me know!

In the end, I couldn’t solve the issue by changing any unit or size settings; but I got it to work by calling the video not through a component in the Builder, but via a line in a code component, using visual.MovieStim3 and setAutoDraw(True).
So sbenear, I am afraid my issue wasn’t the same as yours given that in my case, the video never played at all, and that the problem seemed to be in the Builder but you’re using the Coder already…