Trouble installing on Ubuntu 20.04

I’m trying to get a working install on Ubuntu 20.04LTS.

python --version —> Python 3.9.12,

pip install psychopy now hangs on building wheel for wxPython (setup.py) possibly because I’ve already tried more than once.

I tried installing using conda as described on the installation page. I installed libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 then
$ conda env create -n psychopy -f psychopy-env.yml
which spins forever on Solving environment. I let it run for 3 hours before killing the process.

Any suggestions?

You can try modifying the psychopy-env.yml so that “dependencies: - python=3.9”
Initially it was python=3.6 but you are using a newer version.
Afterwards you should be able to activate the new environment.
However, when starting psychopy I got some other errors. So let me know if you are able to fix this

Tried that and I’ve got a “running” Psychopy enviroment.

These error in the console:

ALSA lib conf.c:4004:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/home/andrewfischer/anaconda3/envs/psychopy/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib control.c:1528:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
unknown option character l
Gtk-Message: 11:28:55.144: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”
Gtk-Message: 11:28:55.145: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

I’ve come across the canberra-gtk-module error before. It pops up on Matlab. I’ll go find my notes for the fix.

To fix both GTk-Message errors. – libgtk 2.0 and 3.0 are already installed on my system. If not you need to install them.

Then:
export GTK_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0

I’m now down to these errors on startup:

(psychopy) andrewfischer@PSYPC6188:~$ psychopy
ALSA lib conf.c:4004:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/home/andrewfischer/anaconda3/envs/psychopy/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib control.c:1528:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
unknown option character l
16:04:29: Debug: “Shift+Tab” is not supported as a keyboard accelerator with GTK

Yes, I had the same errors. It’s because of a missing file in your environment folder (/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so).
So I just made a new directory called alsa-lib inside the anaconda environment folder (for example (/home/andrewfischer/anaconda3/envs/psychopy/lib/) and copied the libasound_module_conf_pulse.so file from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/

Someone had a similar problem

However I still get this error: unknown option character l
I don’t know how to fix it