To which group a participant was assigned

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Windows 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v2021.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: y
What are you trying to achieve?: determine to which group a participant was assigned

What did you try to make it work?: I tried trialing the experiment several times and then looking at the data file

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: There are two conditions LDL and HDL (column F in the attached image

, the data file shows LDL and HDL in two rows. To which group was the participant assigned? Based on my trialings, I have realized that if the participant was assigned to LDL, LDL will show up on the top row. What do the zeroes and ones in columns A to E mean?
Include pasted full error message if possible. “That didn’t work” is not enough information.

Hello,

how do you assign the participants to different groups?

Is this an already combined data-file? If not, it shows that LDL was shown first and then HDL.

The 0 in trial_1.thisRepN tells you that this trial was not (yet) repeated.

Best wishes Jens

1 Like

Thanks for your response @JensBoelte
Participants were assigned with the help of the conditions file.
It is not a combined data file, it is for a single participant assigned to LDL
The codes are shown in the images.
Code1

The data file for the other condition (HDL) is here.

Hello,

How do you assign the participants to conditions. The data file shows that the participant saw HDL and LDL.

Best wishes Jens

Hi @JensBoelte ,

Random assign
Participants are shown trials with the LoopType “Random”.

Thanks,

Aun

Hello,

Sorry I do not understand you properly. The two rows of conditions-file will be show to every participant in random order unless you use some code. So the column PrimingType give you the condition the participant sees in this trial.

Best wishes Jens

Hi,

I know very little about PsychoPy, I got someone else to design this. The only code in the experiment is shown in the images below. I am sure that only one condition is being shown to each participant but my problem is that looking at the data file of each participant, I do not have a basis on which to determine the condition of the participant.
Code1

Regards,

Aun

Hello Aun,

well you provide too little information to help you. (1) One needed to know what your experiment should look like as detailed as in the Procedure section of a manuscript. (2) One needs to have a look at your programmed experiment incl. stimuli to see that the experiment runs the way you want.

Perhaps the person that programmed your experiment might help you?

Best wishes Jens

Hi @JensBoelte Would you like to take a look at the experiment files?
Here they are Dropbox - MCE_2.0 - Simplify your life

Regards,

Aun

Hello Aun,

thanks for the link. Well, I guess you want to register the answers to your survey, don’t you? The way the experiment was set up did not do that properly. You just registered the assignment to the condition.

• I altered the experiment such that participants are now randomly assigned to one of two groups at experiment begin. Notice that this does not guarantee that there will be an even distribution of participants in the LDL and HDL condition! The random assignment is generated each time the experiment is started. The experiment does not “know” how many participants were assigned to one of the two conditions.

• I added two columns ListNr and condition which now signal the condition the participant was assigned to. I did not know whether you prefer number or strings to signal your conditions.

• I moved the survey-questions into a trial-loop such that the experiment loops through the survey question. It is set to sequential at the moment but you can change that to random if you want to. Survey-statements are read from an Excel-file (see below).

• I unticked the save onset/offset times of all components. Your experiment did not look time-critical.

• I changed the onset of some stimuli and responses, e.g., next-button, because it took ages during testing. You might want to set that to the times you want.

• I corrected some typos.

• I corrected wrong references to clickable objects, e.g. next-button.

See attached files for changes.

MCENew.psyexp (37.0 KB)

SurveyStatements.xlsx (8.9 KB)

You might want to try my version of your experiment and make the final adaptations to your need.

Best wishes Jens

Hi @JensBoelte

Thank you for all your help.
Yes, I want to register the answers to the survey.
I am aware that a participant id will be required to get even distribution
I’ll upload this to Pavlovia and check the data file and let you know.

Regards,

Aun

Hi @JensBoelte

The experiment is running offline very well and the data file is neat and unambiguous.
But when I run it on Pavlovia, I get an error.

Could you guide me please?

Regards,

Aun

1. I wouldn’t start an image path with a /. That points at the root. (./ starts at the current folder which should be okay and …/ starts at the parent folder, which also won’t work)

2. Make sure the resources are attached in Experiment Settings / Online if you get this error when step 1 has been sorted.

1 Like

Hello,

you forgot to make this change (see also comment by wakecarter)

grafik

Best wishes Jens

1 Like