Suggestion for the best windows units for my online experiment

Hi, I’m trying to create an online experiment using pavlovia. I have to present different images and I would like to have the same image size (cm on the screen) regardless of the monitor size, resolution, and aspect ratio. I thought the height units was the more appropriate but I have realized that position and proportion are consistent across monitors (with the same aspect ratio) but the effective dimension is scaled according to monitor size.
Can someone suggest a good solution for my situation? maybe asking for the screen size, diagonal, and resolution before the experiment and adjusting some settings accordingly?
This is the draft of my experiment Url Exp if you want to have an idea (set the group to AB in capital letters to start the experiment)
Thanks

@wakecarter has a nice solution that he shares in his Crib Sheet: it’s a procedure that calibrates the screen size using a credit card. Look for “ScreenScale” over here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13jp0QAqQeFlYSjeZS0fDInvgaDzBXjGQNe4VNKbbNHQ/edit#

1 Like

Thanks Thomas! I’ve tried to implement the routine in my experiment and works like a charm. So basically I don’t need to assume or to know neither the aspect ratio nor the screen resolution. My only assumption is that the stimulus in terms of cm ok the screen can be visualized on all monitors…right?

I don’t know, never used it; I only know it exists :). I do think that if you try it out on a couple of screens and it calibrates correctly, then it works everywhere.

1 Like

right! I thought that it was a solution that you have already used :slight_smile: thank you very much

1 Like