Sudden extreme lag using PychoPy version 3.2.4

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 3.2.4
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Y
What are you trying to achieve?: Trying to get a builder experiment which involves playing short (<1s) video clips to run in a timely manner.

What did you try to make it work?: My experiment ran perfectly for the first 12 months of my study, then all of a sudden it started running really slowly (reporting frame rates of 3 secs per frame). I tried running the experiment on another laptop of the same specifications, and it ran fine a few times and then the same problem started happening. In line with advice from other posts, I have tried setting useFBO = False, but this hasn’t solved the problem. Neither has resetting the laptop and reinstalling PsychoPy.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: There is no error message. The experiment just runs extremely slowly. I have multiple versions of the same experiment, and some will no longer run at all. The experiment just gets stuck on the first screen and I have to do a hard reset of the laptop to get out of the application.

I desperately need to finish my research study (which is with clinical patients!) so any suggestions would be very appreciated.