Staircase ends abruptly after key response

OS (e.g. Win10): Win10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): v3.1.1
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: Yes
What are you trying to achieve?: Build an interleaved staircase

What did you try to make it work?: Nothing. I don’t know what to do.

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: I created an interleaved staircase and it ended after I hit a key for the response portion. I also used the demo “interleaved staircase” and it did the same thing.

Include pasted full error message if possible.

File “C:\Users\Quantum\Documents\Projects\Adaptive_Staircare_lastrun.py”, line 421, in
Adap_Stair.addData(‘Base_Grating.started’, Base_Grating.tStartRefresh)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data\staircase.py”, line 1567, in addData
raise TypeError("MultiStairHandler.addData should only receive "
TypeError: MultiStairHandler.addData should only receive corr / incorr. Use .addOtherData(‘datName’,val)

I get the same error for the demo interleaved staircase.

File “C:\Users\Quantum.spyder\PsychoPy3 Demos\psychophysicsStairsInterleaved\interleaved_SF_contrast_lastrun.py”, line 333, in
trials.addData(‘ISI.started’, ISI.tStart)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy3\lib\site-packages\psychopy\data\staircase.py”, line 1567, in addData
raise TypeError("MultiStairHandler.addData should only receive "
TypeError: MultiStairHandler.addData should only receive corr / incorr. Use .addOtherData(‘datName’,val)

AH! Yes. Oh dear, this is an issue in the 3.1 release. I know what it will be and how to fix it (we made some additions to the data that get saved in files and I forgot that for staircases we can’t call addData() in quite the same way. I’ll try and get a new release in a few days

Oh, the other workaround in the meantime… you can turn off the saving of those additional data (on a per-component basis I’m afraid):
Right now the error is coming from Base_Grating, so if you go to the settings for that object and select the Data tab then you can de-select the tickbox for “Save onset/offset times”

Thank you Jon! Good to know that my staircase is working. Psychopy is a lifer saver. I don’t think I would be able to learn how to program a stimulus with all the balls im juggling at the moment.