Shufle 2 different variables, then randomly present them in 2 blocks without repetition

Hi,

I spent quite a long time looking for answers in previous topics but can only partly answer my question so far. I have two goals:

(1) First, i want to shuffle two variables. Let’s call them A (e.g. blue, red, yellow, green ) and B (e.g. dog, cat, bird, fish…). I want my participants to see random associations between A and B, and not only the classic row display (blue-dog; red-car; yellow-bird…).

(2) I also want to randomly divide my variables in two equally long lists. A and B both currently have 40 items, I want to show 20 A items and 20 B items in a first bloc, then 20 A items and 20 B items in a second bloc. Importantly, no items should be repeated twice, if it appears in bloc 1 it doesnt in bloc 2 and vice-versa.

With the following code, I can solve point (2): I make two randoms, 20 items long lists, and present them in two different blocs.

import random

vector = list(range(40))

RowsLoop1 = random.sample(vector, 20)
remaining_vector = list(set(vector) - set(RowsLoop1))

RowsLoop2 = random.sample(remaining_vector, 20)

But I can’t figure out point (1): how to previsouly shufle items within their respective condition?

Thanks for reading, any help will be much appreciated!

Hello

shuffle(RowsLoop1)

shuffles the list.

Best wishes Jens

Hi,
thank you for you answer but as far as I understand it won’t be enough to solve my problem.
Shuffling the variable within rowloop1 or rowoloop2 is not the only issue, I need to do it independantly within my two variables.

Anyway it doesn’t matter as I realized my problem was even more complicated than expected. I think I’ll need another post to explain my point again