Setting up standalone 2023.2.3. no 'audio library' in preferences

Hi. Psychopy standalone 2023.2.3.
not audio library available ? see capture

there is a similar post here:

but no solution.

@jon should I download a different version? < I don’t want to spend ages just migration the task to a different system.

I also complains about not having the right pandas (it is a fresh install) have not run anything on this yet. Seems odd

I normally run 2021.2.3 but that gives grief with Trojan warnings and I got grilled by IT dept, when i wanted to copy what i had to this new system.
So trying to install the last version of psychopy.

Audio library is normally PTB, audio latency mode 3. use a M-Audio solo for sound.
the new install does not show any this in the menus but it does show psychtoolbox (3.0.18.2) in the info :

PsychoPy 2023.2.3

Paths to files on the system:
userPrefsFile: C:\Users\MJR87\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3\userPrefs.cfg
appDataFile: C:\Users\MJR87\AppData\Roaming\psychopy3\appData.cfg
demos: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\demos
appFile: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\PsychoPy.py

System Info:
Operating System: Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 186 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel
CPU freq (MHz): 2800.0
CPU cores: 12 (physical), 16 (logical)
Installed memory: 16815702016 (Total), 8996646912 (Available)

Python info:
Executable path: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\pythonw.exe
Version: 3.8.10 (tags/v3.8.10:3d8993a, May 3 2021, 11:48:03) [MSC v.1928 64 bit (AMD64)]
(Selected) Installed Packages:
numpy (1.24.4)
scipy (1.10.1)
matplotlib (3.4.3)
pyglet (1.4.11)
PyGLFW (2.4.0)
pyo 1.0.4
psychtoolbox (3.0.18.2)
wxPython (4.1.1)

OpenGL Info:
Vendor: Intel
Rendering engine: Intel(R) UHD Graphics
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 - Build 31.0.101.4953
Shaders supported: True
(Selected) Extensions:
GL_ARB_multitexture: True
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object: True
GL_ARB_fragment_program: True
GL_ARB_shader_objects: True
GL_ARB_vertex_shader: True
GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two: True
GL_ARB_texture_float: True
GL_STEREO: False
max vertices in vertex array: 1048576

Ah, yes, this has moved from Preferences to the Experiment Settings because it turns out to be something that many people needed to change on a per-experiment basis rather than for the whole installation

2 Likes

Thanks,
I don’t use the builder as I have code that does what it needs to do and it’s a for a trial so it’s not going to be changed. Do I need to specify the audio library and latency in the code, or is ptb and latency 3 a default.

J

@jriph the settings are actually handled via prefs and can be set/accessed there using code as before:

prefs.hardware['audioLib'] = 'ptb'
prefs.hardware['audioLatencyMode'] = '3'

Note that those 2 lines appear at the top of any builder-generated script, hence overriding whatever was originally in prefs. That’s because felt that experiment settings should always override the psychopy preferences, in case you take your precisely-timed ptb audio to another computer and it gets broken by the sounddevice preference set on that machine. At that point, showing them in the app preferences is counterintuitive because it isn’t actually altering the sound in the outputs of your study, if that makes sense

Makes sense to have the code specify state. Thanks!