Self-paced Reading Experiment Problem

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS (e.g. Win10): Mac 13.4.1
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): Psychopy v2021.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?:
What are you trying to achieve?:
Hello, I am trying to create a psycholinguistic self-paced reading experiment. In this experiment, the participants will see the context as a whole, and after reading it, they will pass this context by pressing space and see a follow-up sentence region by region. After seeing the last region and passing it, they will answer a comprehension question. I created my Excel sheet, which includes 72 contexts, 72 follow-up sentences, and 72 comprehension questions. I also managed to create a loop that includes the context, region 1, region 2, region 3, region 4, and comprehension question routines. Most of the time, the experiment works, but sometimes it skips the context routine and jumps to the follow-up sentence. I don’t understand why it fails time to time. Could you please help me with this problem? Is there an easier way to create a self-paced reading experiment with a context before and a comprehension question after the sentence? Thank you very much.

Hello

you need to show us how you programmed your experiment, focus on the relevant passage. Do you have any idea when the context routine is skipped?

Best wishes Jens

Routines are most often skipped when the ending condition (e.g. a key press) has already been registered. How does your context routine end? If a keyboard, do you have “new clicks only” ticked?

You probably don’t need this but I do have a self-paced reading demo in PsychoPy Online Demos

Hello,

It is not certain when it is skipped. Sometimes it works just fine but in another trial it only skips one context or sometimes it skips all of the contexts. Can it be about the computer that I am using? Because I watched different videos and I tried different methods and I always encounter with the same problem. Thank you for your answer.

Hello,

My context routine ends when the participant presses space. I couldn’t find the box “new clicks only”, where should I look? Thank you for your answer.

Hello,

I think @wakecarter means Discard previous.

grafik

From the Discard previous manual entry

Check this box to ensure that only key presses that occur during this keyboard checking period are used. If this box is not checked a keyboard press that has occurred before the start of the checking period will be interpreted as the first keyboard press. For most experiments this box should be checked.

It is unlikely that your computer is causing the routine to be skipped.

It might be helpful if you posted the routine.

Best wishes Jens

I’ve most often experienced keypresses causing routines to be skipped when there is a keyboard component in one routine and then event.getKeys() in a code component in the next. The key registered by the first routine gets picked up by the second unless you add event.clearEvents() to Begin Routine.

Thank you very much for your help. I think the problem is solved now thanks to your suggestions. Have a great day.