RatingScale "acceptText" parameter does not seem to do anything

PsychoPy version: 2020
Standard Standalone? (y/n): y

Short version:
I want the accept button of the RatingScale component to show the string “Bestätigen” (german word for confirm) after the rating has been given and not the chosen (numerical) value. I use a code component to do so, I set acceptText='Bestätigen', but this does not happen. acceptPreText='', on the other hand, does work fine and leaves the accept button text empty before a choice is made.

Detailed description
I have RatingScale components that I use to collect subjective ratings of pleasantness, arousal and valence of stimuli that were shown before. The scale has 9 points, numerical values are not shown, because the ratings should be intuitive and not coupled with any number. So far, so good.

However, I want to give the option to confirm the rating either by pressing enter or by clicking on the accept button. I want the accept button to show the string “Bestätigen” (german word for confirm) and not the chosen (numerical) value.
I display the accept button, I set the acceptPreText and I set the acceptText parameters with a code component (I tried at Begin Experiment, Begin Routine and both):

rating_pleasantness = visual.RatingScale(win=win, name='rating_pleasantness',
    marker='circle', size=1, pos=[0.0, -200], low=1, high=9,
    labels=['sehr unangenehm', ' sehr angenehm'], scale='',
    showAccept=True, stretch=1.3, textSize=0.8, acceptPreText='',
    acceptText='Bestätigen')

acceptPreText does exactly what it should and leaves the accept button empty.
acceptText, however, does not seem to change anything. The accept button always shows the value from the scale (9-1).

Here the description of these two parameters from the API in case some are not familiar with them:
https://www.psychopy.org/_modules/psychopy/visual/ratingscale.html

• acceptPreText: The text to display before any value has been selected.
  • acceptText: The text to display in the ‘accept’ button after a value has been selected.

Can someone please help me with this? I do not see what could possibly be wrong, since acceptPreText works perfectly fine, but acceptText does not do anything.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best wishes

Roman

PS:
I use a code component instead of the customization field of the rating scale itself because when I use the custom option of the rating scale I get this error code:

globalClock = core.Clock()  # to track the time since experiment started
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I checked that and this very same syntax is valid when I do not use the custom option of the rating scale, but a code component to do the same.

1 Like

We’re in the process of deprecating RatingScale, so in general it’s better to use a combination of Slider and the new Button component where possible. Is there anything which you need RatingScale specifically for?

With the syntax error, the quoted code looks fine so I’d wager the error is actually earlier - sometimes if you have an open bracket or quotation mark it will show the error as the first thing it encounters which would be invalid within brackets/quotes, what do the preceding few lines look like?