Publish a paper about a Psychopy cognitive task

Hi everyone,

We created different tasks using Psychopy.

We would like to publish a paper describing the technical side of a task (design, development, features, requirements). This paper would not be a study with participants’ data but more a presentation of the task itself.

I have not been able to find this kind of publication in any conference or other

Do you have any references to point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Hi @carodak,

Thinking out loud here.

• The procedure side of things sounds to me as similar to a pre-registration. See these OSF template for examples. https://osf.io/zab38
  • As a publication they can be protocol papers, for example, this intervention study
  • At the technical side of things. There are journals about software, like JOSS, but I’d guess they wouldn’t find a task in itself interesting enough to publish.
  • Overall, a protocol paper where you cover the technical side in a lot of detail might be a good way to go, and also a nice innovation. We’ve got some timing and technology papers to back you up on the PsychoPy/PsychoJS side of things if you’re interested.

Cheers, THomas

1 Like

Hello!

We have a preprint out at the moment that takes a similar format to what you might be thinking? https://psyarxiv.com/fzdp2 (yet to say how this kind of paper fairs yet in peer review though! :laughing: )

Hope this helps!
Becca

2 Likes

@thomas_pronk
Thank you very much for all this information. We are currently considering the best option and your detailed answer is very helpful!
I would like the references of the timing and technology papers please!

@Becca
Yes, it’s really great, it looks like what we want to do, thank you very much! Good luck with the reviewing process!

I will keep you informed of our choices here, if we decide to try the publication, the targeted conference and so on.

Good luck with your paper!

1 Like

Will do! First a little check: are you planning on running PsychoPy or PsychoJS?

@thomas_pronk: The papers would concern PsychoJS tasks tho we have old PsychoPy experiments too.

Check! Here are a couple:

Give a shout if you need any more (or on a particular topic)

1 Like