Psychopy3 freezes after using Psychopy2 on the same computer

OS (e.g. Win10): Win 10
PsychoPy version (e.g. 1.84.x): 1.82 AND 3.2.3
Standard Standalone? (y/n) If not then what?: y
What are you trying to achieve?: make both versions work on the same computer

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: Psychopy3 freezes after using Psychopy2 on the same computer, it seems to be a python-related issue

Hello everyone!

In my lab, we plan on using psychopy 2 and 3 on the computers.
We did a test with the team and everything works fine until we use psychopy 2 and then psychopy 3, the latter hangs…

We don’t get a proper error message but a window telling python is having troubles (sorry I don’t remember the exact message and don’t have the possibility to generate it).

Any experience with having both version on the same machines? How did you manage to have both perfectly working?

Thanks a lot for you input.

Oceane.

I don’t know what would cause that but if you ever get the actual message back we might be able to help

So after checking we didn’t receive an actual error message, just a window saying python stopped working or something.
Anyway, it seemed to be due to a whitelist issue, after updating the list it worked.

“whitelist” of what? Web pages? Thanks for getting back to us. Good to know if there’s something we can do to stop it for others

Hi @jon, yes it was the whitelist of websites in the lab.
I don’t know what exactly has been added for psychopy3 to work without any issue though. I could try and retrieve the information if it can be useful.

Hi!

I have psychopy 2 running on computer. For an experiment I have decided to use psychopy 3. After installing it, when I open it gives me following error

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Suhana Ahamed