Problems with slider appearing

If this template helps then use it. If not then just delete and start from scratch.

OS. Win11
PsychoPy version v2022.1.4
**Standard Standalone? yes
**What are you trying to achieve?:**i would like to alternate the position of the slider by changing the x coordinate to the saved parameter name “f4.” (see attached excel file) But when I did that the slider did not appear. The other 2 parameters (f2, f3) work fine.

What did you try to make it work?: I tried changing the position to “set every repeat.”

What specifically went wrong when you tried that?: nothing changed, the slider still did not appear.

pred.xlsx (10.0 KB)

Are the other parameters related to your slider?

Does the slider work if you give a fixed value (one of the numbers from your spreadsheet)?

Is the slider using pix units?

Are the other parameters related to your slider?,
-No, the I only wanted to manipulate the x coordinate

Does the slider work if you give a fixed value (one of the numbers from your spreadsheet)?
-Yes

Is the slider using pix units?
-yes

Thank you for replying!

I think that it’s probably failing because the x coordinate is undefined at the point it gets used.

Please could you show a screenshot of your slider?

Try adding a text component which has f4 as the x coordinate to see if that works.

Try setting the f4 to 0 and 1 instead of+ and - 400.

Thank you again for responding!

Try adding a text component which has f4 as the x coordinate to see if that works.
-The experiment did not run (using original excel file)

Try setting the f4 to 0 and 1 instead of+ and - 400.
-the experiment also did not run

This if the slider is positioned at (0, -400)

If you want the position of your slider to change then you need to set the position to update each repeat instead of being constant.

you need to set the position to update each repeat instead of being constant:
-When I did that, the experiment ran, but the slider no longer appeared. However, if I set a normal coordinate e.g. ( 0, -400) instead of using a parameter from the excel file, the slider would appear.

Please could you show another screenshot. In the one you showed you had the position set to (f4 , -400) constant.

If that doesn’t work try $(f4 , -400) each repeat.

Thank you again for your responses. So I had been playing around, and now, at the current setting (screenshot) my slider appears but only at the middle (image).

When I add $, the outcome is the same.

Sorry, I reread your response, this is when it is constant. Under this setting, the experiment does not run.

thank you again for responding! I did more research and there seems to be a bug with the version of psychopy that I have, so I think using the latest version would ensure that there’s no problems with the slider. But for now I added a custom code in my current version.