Pavlovia stuck on initializing, Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

URL of experiment: Reversal Learning [PsychoPy]

Description of the problem:Hangs on initializing. The error produced is:
“Failed to load resource: the server responded Reversal%20Learning.js:1 with a status of 404 ()”
Study runs locally, both in the (chrome) browser and in PsychoPy. I followed the proposed solution here:

(setting to inactive and back to running) with no change.

This may be referring to images it cannot find. I moved the images to the same folder as the Experiment file, removed the path from the external excel file, and verified it runs locally on the app and in Chrome. I added all of the pictures and excel file in Online → Additional resources. I then uploaded again. I now get a more useful error, but it is unclear why the targetImage variable cannot be found or what the default.png refers to (it is not a part of my experiment).

During troubleshooting I got more useful messages when trying to sync again:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\builder\builder.py”, line 1452, in onPavloviaSync
pavlovia_ui.syncProject(parent=self, file=self.filename, project=self.project)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 854, in syncProject
dlg.sync()
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\sync.py”, line 47, in sync
self.project.sync(self.status)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 844, in sync
self.firstPush(infoStream=infoStream)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\projects\pavlovia.py”, line 1031, in firstPush
info = self.repo.git.push(‘-u’, self.remoteWithToken, ‘master’)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 638, in
return lambda *args, *kwargs: self._call_process(name, *args, kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 1183, in _call_process
return self.execute(call, exec_kwargs)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\git\cmd.py”, line 983, in execute
raise GitCommandError(redacted_command, status, stderr_value, stdout_value)
git.exc.GitCommandError: Cmd(‘C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe’) failed due to: exit code(1)
cmdline: C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\MinGit\cmd\git.exe push -u https://oauth2:
@gitlab.pavlovia.org/nprause00/sexualincentivedelaytask master
stderr: ‘warning: redirecting to Sign in · GitLab
To Sign in · GitLab
! [rejected] master → master (fetch first)
error: failed to push some refs to ‘Sign in · GitLab
hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g., ‘git pull …’) before pushing again.
hint: See the ‘Note about fast-forwards’ in ‘git push --help’ for details.’

I followed suggestions here to reset the root folder:

which resulted in new error messages:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\search.py”, line 271, in showProject
self.viewer.project = pavlovia.PavloviaProject(proj)
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\pavlovia_ui\project.py”, line 536, in project
self.description.setValue(project[‘description’])
File “C:\Program Files\PsychoPy\lib\site-packages\psychopy\app\utils.py”, line 533, in setValue
self.rawTextCtrl.SetValue(value)
TypeError: StyledTextCtrl.SetValue(): argument 1 has unexpected type ‘NoneType’

I am going to try troubleshooting by wiping as much of Git and pavlovia as I can, so there cannot be inconsistencies with an original. Ideas welcome!

Per this post:

I ensured there were no spaces in stimuli names. I am using jpg, so it is unlikely an issue with display, I think?

It was a png image. :roll_eyes:

Try adding any PNG image to the experiment folder and call it default.png to fix that error

Thanks. As best I can tell, it was just a formatting issue of one image that was a png. That image opened fine and there was no error message related to it, making it tricky to identify. I reformated it online to a jpg (along with the relevant code).

I’m now having the same problem with another task and the formatting did not fix it. I’ll start another thread!