Pavlovia not recognizing jsPsych 7.1.2 software platform

Hi all,

I’m new to Pavlovia and I am having a bit of trouble getting Pavlovia to recognize jsPsych as the software platform and I’m receiving the 403 forbidden error that others on this forum have discussed previously.

My problem is that I can’t seem to pinpoint if my error is stemming from a simple pathway issue, something with the jspsych-7-pavlovia-2022.1.1.js plug-in (given the recent migration to jsPsych 7.0), or if there’s something else that I am just not seeing.

To try to figure out what the problem may be, I created a simple “welcome” task that should just launch a “Welcome” message. I’ll attach screenshots of the code here. In case it helps, my directory structure is:

1. jspsych folder with the relevant plug-ins
  2. the welcome.html file
  3. the welcome.js experimental file

Any suggestions on what I may be misunderstanding about how Pavlovia works and integrates with jsPsych would be especially appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi There,

Please can I check that you’ve been following the instructions here? I think you need an “index.html” rather than a “welcome.html” (disclaimer - I am not a jspsych user! sorry!)

Becca

Hi Becca,

Thanks for taking the time to help out and for sending along the documentation!

The tricky thing about the current Pavlovia documentation is that jsPsych recently upgraded to 7.0, which changed some of the syntax structure in jsPsych, and I believe the current Pavlovia documentation is covering jsPsych 6.1.0.

If I am understanding correctly, I believe “index.html” is the name of the task file that the tutorial used for their experiment, whereas “welcome.html” is just the name I gave my task file.

It’s just hard for me to determine if I am misunderstanding something about Pavlovia, jsPsych, or perhaps both. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

When you go to a website and specify a folder but not a specific page then browsers check for files with some specific names such as index.htm and index.html. Whether it checks for welcome.html will depend on the hosting server.

Hi @wakecarter,

Thank you for your reply!

This is good to know, as I have wondered if I my pathways are incorrectly organized and I have tried different strategies to determine how Pavlovia is pulling files, but so far no luck. I’ll keep this in mind as I continue working through this.

Thanks so much!