Pavlovia code does not match what runs online

First I want to say thank you for having Pavlovia, it’s helping us to continue to do research online during this awkward time to be a researcher. I’m a longtime Psychopy user and having some growing pains getting experiments up. I have learned a little javascript and am close to having my experiment ready. The workarounds and cheatsheet are invaluable to getting this far.

URL of experiment: https://pavlovia.org/sheremat/asymprecision

Description of the problem: Recently I have noticed that the code online does not match what is run online. I save my experiment, convert to HTML and then sync. I try to run the experiment, but receive an error that a variable does not exist. When I look at the .js file by clicking “View code” the variable is not there. I realized if I just step away from the computer, leave the website for the experiment open in my browser and then come back to my computer a few hours later, the code works, without making any further changes.

Any idea what is happening? It’s hard to debug code when you there is a disconnect between the code and what is running. Any recommendations for debugging the code locally?

Hey @sheremat, sorry to hear you are having issues getting your experiment to run as expected. Maybe I lack access rights, but I was unable to open the link you posted. Would it be possible to send me a link to the gitlab repository on Pavlovia or upload your .psyexp here so that I can investigate further? Here to help, thanks, s.

Thanks- for getting back to me. The mismatch stopped happening, and then when it started again I had acquired a few tips and tricks to find out what was happening. Specifically, I downloaded the developer tools for safari so that I could access the error message in the Javascript console (really useful when you get the initializing error and no more feedback at the beginning. Clearing the cache works if your experiment does not match the code online.

For anyone who might run into this issue, this thread was very helpful.