Parallel Port Windows 64bit

I’m trying to set up PsychoPy to replace Presentation and I’m running into some issues.

I’m trying to run the ParallelPort demo through the newest version of PsychoPy and have downloaded the drivers from http://www.highrez.co.uk/Downloads/InpOut32/default.htm, extracted and run InstallDrivers.exe and gotten the message they were installed, and put them in the same directory as the demo .py files like the other posts suggest. I am still getting

> Problem compiling: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PsychoPy21852\\lib\\site-packages\\psychopy\\demos\\coder\\hardware\\parallelPortOutput.pyc'
> ##### Running: C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy21852\lib\site-packages\psychopy\demos\coder\hardware\parallelPortOutput.py #####
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy21852\lib\site-packages\psychopy\demos\coder\hardware\parallelPortOutput.py", line 32, in <module>
>     parallel.setData(0)  # sets all pins low
>   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\PsychoPy21852\lib\site-packages\psychopy\parallel\__init__.py", line 165, in setData
>     raise RuntimeError('Port address must be set using setPortAddress')
> RuntimeError: Port address must be set using setPortAddress
> 1.4029 	WARNING 	psychopy.parallel has been imported but no parallel port driver found. Install either inpout32 or dlportio
> 1.4030 	WARNING 	Could not initiate port: global name 'ParallelPort' is not defined
> 1.4031 	WARNING 	Monitor specification not found. Creating a temporary one...

Update: I got it otherwise working by putting the 32 files in the local folder as well. Now I’m getting this error:

Problem compiling: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\PsychoPy21852\\lib\\site-packages\\psychopy\\demos\\coder\\hardware\\parallelPortOutput.pyc'

I am on a Windows 10 64 bit computer and am logged in as the admin so I don’t know why permission would be denied.

I’m using VSPE to emulate a com port, COM12, and I’ve gotten the Device Manager to recognize the port after manually installing it but I cannot successfully get a call to it to work.

I tried to look up the I/O address. Has anyone else used simulated or virtual ports?

I’d be surprised if that permissions error is affecting anything but you can avoid it simply by saving the demo to your user space. Even if you’re logged in as an admin you don’t normally run each piece of software as admin so software can’t typically modify the contents of Program Files.

I’m afraid I’ve never used a VSPE before (this is a brand of USB serial port?)